i have a vista latptop but i want Xp on it

sdolansbd 16:46 23 Aug 2008

I have bought an Acer laptop with Vista home Premium on it but i want to no if i can change to XP as i have an XP professional disc that i can use but i dnt no how to do it or if it wud even work.
Can any1 help me?

Wilham 18:13 23 Aug 2008

sdolansbd
I registered XP pro when I bought the disk. When I needed to switch it to another PC I rang the helpline that came with the disk. They checked I was registered. I had to assure them I was erasing the s/w from old PC. I had to give details of the PC I wanted to load, and after few minutes (all over the telephone) I was given a 50 digit code to enter on the PC.

The length 50 characters seemed excessive, my hearing is not that good, and it took up the support's time, - they would not email the code.
But it worked OK.

Wilham 18:28 23 Aug 2008

Sorry, this was for moving my XP Pro to an XP home, not Vesta. I've just seen in the forum that Vesta home isn't so adaptable. W

peter99co 21:55 23 Aug 2008

Have you really tried it out yet? It can't be that bad.

tullie 10:11 24 Aug 2008

Make sure you have your XP drivers on a disc,then boot from your cd drive,install drivers.

Pine Man 11:42 24 Aug 2008

Tullie is correct in that before you start you need XP drivers for all of your hardware. What she omitted to say was that you need to be sure that you have also got all of the disks for your software as well because you will have to carry out a complete re-install of your operating system and you will lose everything that is at present on your laptop.

I would give Vista a better chance before you attempt to change to XP or even consider dual-booting your laptop and having both Vista and XP on it. It isn't a very straightforward process but a lot less destructive than a re-installation.

Ozy 15:46 24 Aug 2008

to dual boot xp and vista with vista installed first,install XP onto an empty partition,
when xp is installed it will only boot into XP,
put in vista disc,and click repair startup,
you can now only boot into Vista.
download EasyBCD and install it.
click Easy BCD on desk top click add,
type in window XP, clck ok.
on bootup watch the bios,you may have to click
F11,to select the system,(thats what i have to do)
otherwise it will boot straight into XP.
this will only work if your XP disc is a retail version and not an OEM,OEMs only work with one computer they are not transferable like retail

Ozy 15:52 24 Aug 2008

what i mean by it will not work, is that activation by microsoft wll not work if it is an OEM

AL47 22:41 28 Aug 2008

i will be going through the same process soon!

the breaking point came when i found i cant download updates and also that vista sp1 is not availivble for my laptop

im using my old xp pro disc that was provided by dell

chub_tor 18:59 29 Aug 2008

Detailed guide for dual booting with Vista installed first click here

tullie 21:17 29 Aug 2008

Why wouldent Vista sp1 not be available for your laptop,its an os update.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?