I can't delete a compressed ISO file - any ideas why?

RicardoManuel 18:14 11 Sep 2013

I was going through my Downloads folder and cleaning things up a bit when I discovered that I can't delete a compressed ISO file. A pop-up box appears which says: "The action can't be completed because the file is open in System". That's strange because it's a compressed file and I thought the only way to open one is with WinZip or a similar program, so how can it be open when I don't have any extraction programs running? I looked through Task Manager, and verified that none of the running services are associated with that compressed file or any extraction program. I don't have the ISO file mounted on a drive and I haven't extracted the contents since 2011. I don't remember what the program was for and Googling the name doesn't help. I also tried altering the security settings for the file so that System didn't have permission to Read it, but it wouldn't let me. I wouldn't care much but it's a large file and I'm getting low on space. I'm running Windows 7 Pro on a Sony Vaio. Muchas gracias, Ricardo

alanrwood 10:37 12 Sep 2013

Try deleting it in Safe Mode. Sometimes works. Alternatively try the Safe Mode with Command and delete it with del C:\xxx\xxx\filename. (ie the path to the file)

Markgeek2000 11:13 12 Sep 2013

Remove the disc from Daemon tools.)

Or try Unlocker, it does helps.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

30 UK artists have created vibrant posters celebrating Pride London

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?