I can't delete a compressed ISO file - any ideas why?

RicardoManuel 18:14 11 Sep 2013

I was going through my Downloads folder and cleaning things up a bit when I discovered that I can't delete a compressed ISO file. A pop-up box appears which says: "The action can't be completed because the file is open in System". That's strange because it's a compressed file and I thought the only way to open one is with WinZip or a similar program, so how can it be open when I don't have any extraction programs running? I looked through Task Manager, and verified that none of the running services are associated with that compressed file or any extraction program. I don't have the ISO file mounted on a drive and I haven't extracted the contents since 2011. I don't remember what the program was for and Googling the name doesn't help. I also tried altering the security settings for the file so that System didn't have permission to Read it, but it wouldn't let me. I wouldn't care much but it's a large file and I'm getting low on space. I'm running Windows 7 Pro on a Sony Vaio. Muchas gracias, Ricardo

alanrwood 10:37 12 Sep 2013

Try deleting it in Safe Mode. Sometimes works. Alternatively try the Safe Mode with Command and delete it with del C:\xxx\xxx\filename. (ie the path to the file)

Markgeek2000 11:13 12 Sep 2013

Remove the disc from Daemon tools.)

Or try Unlocker, it does helps.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best Black Friday Deals 2017

Black Friday Deals for Designers & Artists: Adobe, Apple, Corel Painter, Microsoft Surface, Wacom &e…

Best Black Friday Apple Deals 2017

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires