How's your comp coping under Vista?

Jojikiba 08:57 09 Jun 2007

Here’s a nice little way I found to check how your system is bearing up under Vista:

Control panel > System and maintenance > Performance information and tools > Advanced tools > Generate a system health report

It takes about a minute to create a report. When it’s finished, scroll down to “resource overview”.

You can see details of CPU, Network, Disk and Memory.

Hopefully, you’ll have green lights for those four!

anskyber 09:28 09 Jun 2007

Everything nice and green, thank you.

Jimmy14 10:09 09 Jun 2007

I've ran this before on a previous installation of Vista. All green as usual.

IntoPCs 11:14 09 Jun 2007

I still can't find a driver for my MSI StarCam 370+ (not to be confused with 370i as MSI keep doing) and that was what caused the 1 red. XP drivers don't work in Vista and I've tried loads of others on the off chance.
Looks like I need a new webcam - any reccomendations?

IntoPCs 11:15 09 Jun 2007

This could end up hijacking your thread - sorry I'll post a new thread in the forum.

Pine Man 19:39 09 Jun 2007

One of my hard drives is nearly full (within 1%) so I didn't get the green light on that one but all the rest are.

Jojikiba 23:58 09 Jun 2007

Pine Man

Having a hard drive that's 99% full is going to slow your system down quite a lot. You should think about deleting stuff you don't need or moving it onto an external usb hard drive.

I forget what the recommended free space is, I think I read somewhere you should try to keep about 20% free for smooth performance.

Pine Man 11:06 10 Jun 2007

I have three hard drives. 2 SATA and 1 IDE.

The IDE drive is just a data drive used to store Acronis back-ups on and contains no programs.

Shouldn't be a problem - should it?

Jojikiba 13:37 10 Jun 2007

Oh I see. I think it's OK then. Well, as long as you don't feel your system is slow, that's the main thing.

Pine Man 19:05 10 Jun 2007

I decided to delete 20% of the back-ups just in case!

Ben 216 21:59 10 Jun 2007

It's an NVIDIA driver that doesn't exist for Vista... And my motherboard was meant to be Vista ready! Seems to make no difference though.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

How secure is your Wi-Fi?

AMD vs Intel: we put the most powerful desktops for designers and artists head-to-head

iPhone tips & tricks

Les meilleurs ordinateurs portables 2017