How to uninstall Norton

hiwatt 19:22 26 Jul 2007

Hi folks,my girlfriends computer came installed with norton protection centre and the subscription runs out in 3 days.I've read it can be a bit of a nuisance to get rid of so is there any proper way to do it?Should I remove it from add/remove programs before running the norton removal tool?Any advice would be much appreciated.Thanks.

skidzy 19:57 26 Jul 2007

I think you will find this is the latest version of the removal tool click here

As a follow to removal of Norton,run ccleaner click here

Then reboot.

Finally use Vista's search and type Norton and delete all it finds,same goes for typing Symantec and delete all it finds.

There is one other route and thats using the registry,this i would not advise unless you are confident with REGEDIT.
If you decide to search the registry,MAKE sure you backup the whole registry first !

skidzy 19:58 26 Jul 2007

I think you will find this is the latest version of the removal tool click here

As a follow to removal of Norton,run ccleaner click here

Then reboot.

Finally use Vista's search and type Norton and delete all it finds,same goes for typing Symantec and delete all it finds.

There is one other route and thats using the registry,this i would not advise unless you are confident with REGEDIT.
If you decide to search the registry,MAKE sure you backup the whole registry first !

hiwatt 21:50 26 Jul 2007

Thanks very much skidzy.

masteritdotie 18:06 02 Aug 2007

Just wondering if there is a particular reason (other than the subscription price) for getting rid of Norton. Are you finding it hugging resources? What are you going to replace it with?

with vista if you use add/ remove program it links to removal tool, ie asks if you want to get rid of ghost etc. i removed mine that way and all it left were 2 empty registry files, which i believe are still there and causing no harm. nis 2007 and 360 have moved on and its a lot easier than when i removed 2006 from xp that left bits everywhere.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?