How to open a .zip file and save to flash drive

DAKAR 15:41 20 Jul 2014

Hi all I am really getting frustrated now,I would like to know how to open and save a .zip file to a flash drive. I have win 8.1 and winzip installed on my laptop My problem is I think I unzip the file and send to documents and then try to open the file, then I get a blue box open and prompts asking do you want to OPEN or Save the file and if I press open another line opens in the same box asking do I want to open or save the file and so it goes round and round with the same question. What am I doing wrong? Any help is greatly appreciated Daryl

alanrwood 16:08 20 Jul 2014

What are you actually trying to do

1. Move the zip file to a flash drive.
  2. Unzip the zip file contents to a flash drive.
  3. What is in the zip file, documents, pictures a zipped up program.

You should be able to choose "Extract to ---- on the winzip menu and isert where you want it to extract to by entering the path details before starting the extraction.

DAKAR 18:11 20 Jul 2014

Hi alanrwood I have tried everything now and still coming up with the same box opening asking if I want to save or open. Got totally fed up with it I even thought might be a problem with winzip so have uninstalled it and chucked the laptop in the corner till I get more patience. Thanks for your help I really appreciate it. What I am trying to open and install is a Yamaha keyboard backing style which one of the forum members has sent me,so I can put it on my memory stick and upload it to my keyboard. Thanks again Daryl

Woolwell 21:56 21 Jul 2014

Why are you trying to open the file on your laptop? If I understand the problem correctly all you need to do is copy the file to your memory stick, attach the stick to your keyboard and then open the file.

alanrwood 11:32 22 Jul 2014

From what the OP has now said I think he needs to Extract the zip file with the contents going onto the memory stick which he can then plug into his keyboard.

In which case Open Winzip and select the zip file and open it. Select Unzip/Unzip to Default folder/Set Default Folder and select the Memory stick. The files will extract to the stick (or anywhere else you would prefer to select). This is based on an older version of Winzip but I can't see it being very different in the newer versions.

An alternative if on Winzip installation you accepted the menu item install choice is to right click on the zip file and select "Extract To ----" then select the Memory stick location in the window that appears.

DAKAR 22:01 23 Jul 2014

Hi Woolwell alanrwood has answered your question exactly Having uninstalled winzip because I could not get it to unzip the file and get the contents onto the memory stick,I have given myself another problem. Having read on other forums that winzp can be a problem to uninstall,I have removed it in control panel,and tried to install 7-zip only to get a message saying that another zip program is running and to close it before trying again. I would like to know how I can completely remove winzip and start again. I thankyou both for your replies and really do appreciate your help. Regards Daryl

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:48 23 Jul 2014
  DAKAR 23:12 23 Jul 2014

Hi Fruit Bat/\0/\ Thanks for the link will give it a go tomorrow Many thanks Dayl

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017