How much ram for Vista??

RobCharles1981 22:24 04 Jun 2008

Hi

I'm planning on installing Vista Ultimate 64 bit, I'm on XP using 2gig of DDR2 6400 Ram, will this be enough to run vista I do play games too?

Cheers

Rob

Forum Editor 00:08 05 Jun 2008

in 2Gb of RAM - it's doing so on all my office machines.

I'm no gaming expert, so you'll need to rely on someone else for that part of the answer.

RobCharles1981 00:22 05 Jun 2008

Thanks FE for the feedback, I await any different oppinons in this....

Jayseph 01:19 05 Jun 2008

I'm not completely sure.

But as far as i know. XP as a 32bit OS can address 2.3 gigs of ram maximum.

Your suped up 64 bit OS would probably be able to address much much more.

I'm currently on a laptop with a 64bit vista OS and 2 gigs of ram... I CAN NOT ACTUALLY use this for gaming...

Admittedly my graphics processor in this is a bit shoddy. but i game a fair bit... Vista itself takes up alot of ram.

And most LARGE games... like MMORPGs (world of warcraft, lord of the rings online) require RAM more than graphics as the skins are quitre simple so the graphics card doesnt have to be amazing by any stretch, if your into mmo rpgs.

ofcourse if its like games that require heavy graphics like gears of war or something like that then focus more on graphics cards than ram

If you can upgrade your ram to 3 or 4 gigs without it costing too much it would optimize your gaming experience. but, for example, i play WoW... i tried to play it on my laptop once or twice. i got roughly 5 frames per second. which is shocking.

wheras it runs smoothly on my PC with more ram than addressable by my OS.

i'm not sure if that all made sense to you (my appologies if it doesnt... it's pretty late at night)

im not even sure if its all 100% correct. i'm no whiz :)

Jayseph 01:23 05 Jun 2008

may be 3.2GB of ram maximum for 32 bit....

not sure. check with someone who is :D

As i said... late at night... get my numbers a bit higgeldy piggeldy

Why wont it work 01:27 05 Jun 2008

If you're going to be installing a 64 bit OS, I think an extra 2gb would be worth it since Windows and games can make use of it (more the merrier?.) I picked up 2gb of DDR2 800mhz ram for around £30 the other day, so it's that much extra to splash out.

Be warned though, the increase may not be very much click here It's therefore up to you to weigh up really. On one hand you can future proof quite cheaply and on the other it probably won't give a very noticable performance increase at the moment.

RobCharles1981 09:08 05 Jun 2008

Hi I do have a very high end PC spec as it happens.

AMD 5600 CPU
2 Gig Corsair XMS2 DDR2 6400
BFG 8800 gtx 768mb
ASUS Crosshair motherboard

Although I've brought another 2 gig of the ram I got ready.

The bit thats worrying me right now is my other devices to locate drivers for:

Epson C86 Printer
Epson Perfection 1260 Scanner
Logitech Zoom Webcam

Can you point me in the right direction???

sunny staines 09:38 05 Jun 2008

you need 2g as already mentioned to see benefits of vista being faster.

RobCharles1981 11:25 05 Jun 2008

True enough,

But I may have to wait it out now until I can upgrade my Printer and Scanner and Webcam because the ones I have are not compatible for Vista! :-(

wrg 11:26 05 Jun 2008

I have 32bit sys and 4gb of ram. It will only recognise 3.2gb. I did originally have 2gb and upgraded. Cant say I have noticed a great deal of difference in the speed.

Pine Man 11:27 05 Jun 2008

If you are concerned about drivers for 32bit Vista (shouldn't be a problem) don't even consider 64bit Vista because you really could have problems then.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone