how to go back to genuine simple windows 8 from unactivated windows 8 pro

SoniaUmar 17:15 11 May 2014

i had genuine windows 8 the simple one not the pro.it was pre installed on my laptop and registered to my name. i tried upgrading to pro version via "add features to windows 8 " option in control panel using a key i fund online.the windows installed alright but i cant seem to activate it.is there any way to go back to my genuine windows? plz help :-(

rdave13 17:39 11 May 2014

Search for the manufacturer of your laptop and find the instructions of how to restore to factory settings. Hopefully the hidden partition is still intact. You should also have created a restore to factory settings medium as well so try the USB or DVDs you created.

SoniaUmar 17:51 11 May 2014

how can i restore it to factory settings?

rdave13 17:54 11 May 2014

Which laptop do you have? Did you create the restore discs?

BRYNIT 18:40 11 May 2014

Instructions supplied with the laptop or via manufacturer web site will tell you how to restore to factory default, this will only work if you still have the recovery partition/files or have created a set of recovery disks as advised when you first got the laptop.

If the recovery partition has been deleted, you did not create the recovery disks and do not know anyone with the same laptop who could supply a copy of the disks you will have to buy a set of recovery disks from the manufacturer.

BRYNIT 18:44 11 May 2014

Don't know why I thought it was a laptop but the same would apply to most new computers as the activation number is embedded in the bios.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?