How to exit safe mode

Peezef1l 19:08 06 Jul 2014
Answered

Hello

Our Dell laptop E4300 with Windows 7 always has msg 'setup is preparing your computer for first use' when start it up. A forum suggested choose 'safe mode', F8 to boot, then 'repair my computer'. I managed to change to 'safe mode', but when hit restart, it is now in this continual loop where says "Windows cannot complete installation in Safe Mode. To continue installing Windows, restart the computer." Underneath is msg "Setup is preparing your computer for first use".

When click OK, it comes up with "Setup will continue after restarting your computer". It then shows the DELL E4300 Latitude series logo (with 'F12 - boot options' in top right corner), scrolls through a list of Windows files (starting with 'windows/system 32') at end of which it says "the system is booting in safe mode - minimal services", blank screen for few secs then again back to the 'Windows cannot complete installation...' msg.

I did check out the boot screen (F12) but am nervous to try any of the other options (CD/DVD/CD-RW Drive, Onboard NIC, BIOS Setup, Diagnostics) without advice from someone more knowledgeable. I also tried the advanced boot screen (F8) but so far nothing's worked... starting windows normally just brings it back into the safe mode loop, as does 'safe mode with command prompt'(no prompt comes up). My best guess is that I need to somehow access the command prompt so can type in MSCONFIG and then have option to take it back to normal mode.

Would really appreciate help getting this laptop back to Normal.

thanks in advance for any comments

BRYNIT 20:44 06 Jul 2014

Click on start and type msconfig in the search bar, msconfig should be at the top of the list click on it or just press enter msconfig will open. On the general tab make sure normal start is ticked, click on apply and then OK restart the computer.

If you still have problems it could be something preventing the computer from starting correctly, this could be anything from corrupt files to the hard drive failing.

Try start/all programs/accessories right click on command prompt and select run as administrator type sfc /scannow (note the space between sfc and the /)this will check for system errors.

If you read the instructions that came with the laptop

Also try checking the drive for bad sectors, right click on drive/properties/tools/check now and select scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors this will check the hard drive on next boot and can take a while. (note: Unlikely but if this shows too many errors you may need a new hard drive)

If you read the instructions that came with the laptop it will give you instructions on what the F key functions will do on boot up and how to restore the computer to factory default.

If F8 is the key to repair your computer make sure you save all your documents to an external drive and use this to rectify the problem if the above does not work.

Peezef1l 21:26 06 Jul 2014

Hi, thanks for your comprehensive reply. There is no start button in this version of safe mode, unfortunately. It's in B&W and very basic-looking. The laptop worked perfectly fine... until I put it into safe mode. Just want to know how to get it back to normal. If no one can help, will have to try local computer shop.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:57 06 Jul 2014

reboot

keep tapping F8 until advance menu appears

select last item in list (start windows normally)

lotvic 00:51 07 Jul 2014
Answer

When it gets to this part: "Windows cannot complete installation in Safe Mode. To continue installing Windows, restart the computer."

Press SHIFT+F10 to open the Command Prompt window

From sevenforums.com: scroll down to 2nd section 'Now for Safe Mode' and screenshot/instruction number 4 ClickHere

lotvic 00:55 07 Jul 2014

Something else to try/ or just for info: Fix “Setup is Preparing Your Computer for First Use” on Every Reboot ClickHere

Peezef1l 05:50 07 Jul 2014

Thank you very much Lotvic! Glad it was such a straightforward fix. Thanks also for 2nd suggestion, which I will 'file away' for now.

lotvic 13:25 07 Jul 2014

Glad you got it sorted :)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?