How do you remove "about:blank"?

rhyssett 17:03 17 Mar 2015

I am being plagued by about:blank in IE and Chrome. I have been recommended to try SpyHunter 4, from Enigma. Does anyone know if it is any good, or have any other solutions for getting rid of about:blank?

bumpkin 17:10 17 Mar 2015

This may sort it click here

alanrwood 18:52 17 Mar 2015

about:blank simply displays a blank page if that is what you have selected as your start up page in your browser options. Personally I always set it as this as I don't want to go to MSN, Google or anything other that what I want to access. You can set up your start page to anything you want in the browser options.

Secret-Squirrel 20:13 17 Mar 2015

" I have been recommended to try SpyHunter 4"

It's not worth paying for.

If your problem is malware related then Bumpkin's suggestion should fix it. If not then try the free version of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware. Just remember to untick the box at the end of the installation for the free trial of the paid-for version.

alanrwood 09:22 18 Mar 2015

I still don't really understand what the original problem actually is as the description is barely adequate. What is meant by "Plagued by about:blank". If it is simply that it has been set as the browser home page then a simple change in the browser should sort it out without resorting to any adware tools etc.

Please could the OP clarify.

Secret-Squirrel 10:48 18 Mar 2015

Alan, there's a strain of malware called "About:Blank" and I assume that's what the OP's problem is.

bumpkin 11:11 18 Mar 2015

Here is some more info click here but I would try ADW first.

wee eddie 11:51 18 Mar 2015

More often it's simply because there's nothing at the internet address you've given it to find.

bumpkin 12:09 18 Mar 2015

Astated by alan the OP needs to clarify what is meant.

celalalt 15:01 03 Apr 2015

about:blank is simply the homepage set active for your browser. Read this guide. It shows how to change your homepage to something you want.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?