How do I turn off win 8 charmbar

eysha1 14:49 26 Aug 2013

Hi, my new laptop is a windows 8 with the charms bar which I absolutely hate and would love to know how to turn it off permanently. I got the WINDOWS HACKS8 from the library and have followed the instruction there but it doesn't work. I created a system restore first and also copied the registry to another folder and burnt it to disk in case then followed the instructions in the book to no avail. I also looked for the same thing, how to disable the charms bar in win 8, on you tube and followed the instructions there too which were the same except for one thing but it still doesn't work. Does anyone here know how to get rid of the charms bar? I am right handed and it is driving me nuts. Many thanks. I am using a Toshiba Satellite C850D-12L Many thanks in advance.

chub_tor 16:47 26 Aug 2013

There are 18 pages of discussion in this Microsoft Community link all discussing the Charms bar. It would seem that the most popular solution for laptops is to disable the Synaptics side Swipe on the touch pad whilst the second most popular is to install Start8 which does give you the opportunity to disable the Charms Bar when you are working in Desktop Mode.

kevinhall 05:26 02 Sep 2013
  1. Open Reg Edit Press Windws+R to launch RUN dialog box then type regedit and press Enter.
  2. Navigate to.... HKEYCURRENTUSER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ImmersiveShell\

3. EdgeUI Now select "EdgeUI" key and in right-side pane, create a new DWORD DisableCharmsHint and set its value to 1.

4. Restart if needed This should take effect instantly, if it doesn't just restart and you should be golden.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

iPhone X review

How to find a font: Discover the name of a typeface with these apps

The best iPhone for 2017

Comment créer un compte PayPal pour payer en ligne ?