How do I stop Automatic Updates?

Covergirl 19:17 14 Nov 2007

I have just bought an Acer Aspire (T180 5000) with Vista Home Premium (32bit) and Norton Internet Security pre-loaded. I have also bought & installed MS Office Home/Student.

I connected up to the web and checked through Windows Update and found about 60Mb of updates waiting. Norton also has some updates to come and I think it was around 35Mb.
I’m still on dial-up and reckon that it could take me quite a while to download all this lot (LoL), so I thought I’d wait until I got broadband later this year. The trouble is, I think I’ve turned off Windows Updates and Norton Updates but there still appears to be a lot of data being uploaded whilst my web activity is nil – ie sat on the Google homepage just watching the bytes clock up through the status panel at around 160kb/minute.

Anyone any ideas how to stop everything coming in, as it’s causing the web browsing to be extremely slow?

Thanks in advance

bazb 19:48 14 Nov 2007

Hi Covergirl

go in to Control Panel > click security > then click windows update, you can turn it on and off from there.

Covergirl 20:07 14 Nov 2007

Thanks Bazb but "You Have Windows Set To : Never Check for Updates (Not Recommended)" and the data is still flooding in!
Could it be Symantec settings ? Norton is set to OFF.

bazb 21:16 14 Nov 2007

they may already be in the Windows update page, ticked and ready for downloading. If you go in to the dowloads page without being connected to the internet, then you may be able to untick the boxes and stop the downloads.

I have never had to do this so I do not know if it will work.

Good luck

Covergirl 10:32 17 Nov 2007

Yes, I can go into the updates page and untick eveything but next time I go in, they're all ticked again.:-(

So, it would appear that no-one knows whether there are covert downloads going on behind the scenes? Fair 'nuff. Had to ask anyway. I'm still racking up the bytes - hopefully, one day I'll be logged on long enough to complete one of these updates and put it to bed . . . . . Pah !!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?