how do i become the administrator

oovarvu 22:30 31 Oct 2008

when trying to turn on defender i am met with a box saying i have to get my system administrator to enable windows defender via group policy. i am the only user of my computer so why am i not the administrator and how do i become administrator.
thanks

Kevscar1 13:29 01 Nov 2008

try right clicking and run as administrator

peter99co 23:11 02 Nov 2008

An administrator account is a user account that lets you make changes that will affect other users. Administrators can change security settings, install software and hardware, and access all files on the computer. Administrators can also make changes to other user accounts.

When you set up Windows, you'll be required to create a user account. This account is an administrator account that allows you to set up your computer and install any programs that you would like to use. Once you have finished setting up your computer, we recommend that you use a standard user account for your day-to-day computing. It's more secure to use a standard user account instead of an administrator account.

Ibanezmick 20:36 03 Nov 2008

Worth a look.
click here

oovarvu 16:40 11 Nov 2008

thankyou for your suggestions. however none of them work. any other ideas?

rawprawn 20:45 11 Nov 2008

Try this
Right Click on Win Defender Icon> Properties> Compatibility> Tick Run as Administrator

rawprawn 20:47 11 Nov 2008

The only other alternative I can think of is to Turn Off User Account Control. If you are the only user it really doesn't matter if it's turned off.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?