how to connect the sound from my monitor to my hp pavilion a6250

Alex at Langar 15:01 16 May 2015

tullie 15:38 16 May 2015

Does your monitor have speakers?

Alex at Langar 16:47 16 May 2015

Yes, built-in speakers across the base. I've had them working plenty times before, it's just that having disconnected the monitor, and everything else, (external drives, router, etc etc), due to decorating the room, the sound cable from the monitor is the only connection left that I can't find the correct socket for on the back of the computer. The monitor itself is fine, I'm using it right now to write this. There are six jack plug sockets, each one colour coded, (green, pink, etc), I can't remember which one the monitor was connected to. I've tried them all in turn, whilst running a YouTube video, no sound via any of them, and whilst I've used the paper manual that came with the computer to try and decide which socket is the right one, I still can't make out which it should be. I'm convinced it ought to be the green socket, (Audio Out), but I hear nothing when using that socket - even though, to repeat, the monitor's sound is turned up to maximum and the monitor's mute button is definitely not on.

Alex at Langar 18:10 16 May 2015

To follow up my own question, here is more of what I've tried, still without success.

1. I have a pair of powered external speakers. Page 6 of the computer's Troubleshooting and Maintenance Guide says "Powered speakers . . . connect to the Audio Out (green) connector on the back of the computer." So, that is where I have inserted the speakers' audio jack plug and have just switched the speakers on, (red LED says the power is on), put a Motown audio CD into the DVD drive and used Windows Media Player to play the CD. The blue line is progressing across the bottom and Windows Media Player's volume control is at maximum. No music, no sound. So checked, has CD finished playing? No, it's still playing.

2. Ok, next I did this: a) Start Menu -> Control Panel -> Sound -> Adjust system volume That gave me a window entitled "Volume Mixer - Speakers (3-USB PnP Audio Device)" containing three items, Speakers, System Sounds and Windows Media Player. Each has a vertical sound level slider. Each slider is at the top, (max). System Sounds is not reacting, but both the other two have green colour bouncing up and down in response to the sound coming in, (from the CD, I presume!), all three have a little blue speaker icon below them, none of those icons have a red cross to show they are disabled. But still no sound from the external speakers.

b) So, in the same window, Speakers has a drop-down menu, which gives a list of four options. Speakers ((3-USB PnP Audio Device); Speakers (Realtek High Definition Audio);Realtek HDMI Output (Realtek High Definition Audio); and Realtek Digital Output (Realtek High Definition Audio); The 3-USB one appears to be the current one. Clicking each of the other three in turn and stil hearing no music, (and also no bouncing green either in the vertical slider), seems to suggest that the 3-USB option is the correct one, as the green is bouncing nicely - even though not hearing anything.

c) So, Control Panel -> Sound -> Manage audio devices That gave a window entitled "Sound" with four tabs. The first, Playback, tab is selected and the top item in there is Speakers 3-USB etc. and it's vertical column of bars has green bouncing up and down it. The other three tabs are Recording, Sounds and Commmunications. A look through each of those in turn didn't suggest they contain anything useful and relevant to my problem so I left them alone.

d) Last thing I tried was Control Panel -> Hardware and Sound -> Realtek HD Manager. Given, as indicated above, that I was not using Realtek, I didn't expect this to help much, and it didn't. The only thing relevant, (as far as I can tell, anyhow), in this window was the horizontal volume slider. That is set to full volume, (ie. as far to the right as it can go).

That's me done! Still no sound. But as there is no sound with the external speakers connected correctly, (I'm sure, given the manual's page 6 instructions referred to above), to the green Audio Out socket, and with no sound with the Monitor connected to that same green socket, and no sound with it connected to any of the other five available sockets either, would you say my conclusion is correct that the problem lies at the computer end somewhere, given that the monitor sound was fine before I disconnected it, and likewise the external speakers?

Please help.

Alex at Langar 18:10 16 May 2015

To follow up my own question, here is more of what I've tried, still without success.

1. I have a pair of powered external speakers. Page 6 of the computer's Troubleshooting and Maintenance Guide says "Powered speakers . . . connect to the Audio Out (green) connector on the back of the computer." So, that is where I have inserted the speakers' audio jack plug and have just switched the speakers on, (red LED says the power is on), put a Motown audio CD into the DVD drive and used Windows Media Player to play the CD. The blue line is progressing across the bottom and Windows Media Player's volume control is at maximum. No music, no sound. So checked, has CD finished playing? No, it's still playing.

2. Ok, next I did this: a) Start Menu -> Control Panel -> Sound -> Adjust system volume That gave me a window entitled "Volume Mixer - Speakers (3-USB PnP Audio Device)" containing three items, Speakers, System Sounds and Windows Media Player. Each has a vertical sound level slider. Each slider is at the top, (max). System Sounds is not reacting, but both the other two have green colour bouncing up and down in response to the sound coming in, (from the CD, I presume!), all three have a little blue speaker icon below them, none of those icons have a red cross to show they are disabled. But still no sound from the external speakers.

b) So, in the same window, Speakers has a drop-down menu, which gives a list of four options. Speakers ((3-USB PnP Audio Device); Speakers (Realtek High Definition Audio);Realtek HDMI Output (Realtek High Definition Audio); and Realtek Digital Output (Realtek High Definition Audio); The 3-USB one appears to be the current one. Clicking each of the other three in turn and stil hearing no music, (and also no bouncing green either in the vertical slider), seems to suggest that the 3-USB option is the correct one, as the green is bouncing nicely - even though not hearing anything.

c) So, Control Panel -> Sound -> Manage audio devices That gave a window entitled "Sound" with four tabs. The first, Playback, tab is selected and the top item in there is Speakers 3-USB etc. and it's vertical column of bars has green bouncing up and down it. The other three tabs are Recording, Sounds and Commmunications. A look through each of those in turn didn't suggest they contain anything useful and relevant to my problem so I left them alone.

d) Last thing I tried was Control Panel -> Hardware and Sound -> Realtek HD Manager. Given, as indicated above, that I was not using Realtek, I didn't expect this to help much, and it didn't. The only thing relevant, (as far as I can tell, anyhow), in this window was the horizontal volume slider. That is set to full volume, (ie. as far to the right as it can go).

That's me done! Still no sound. But as there is no sound with the external speakers connected correctly, (I'm sure, given the manual's page 6 instructions referred to above), to the green Audio Out socket, and with no sound with the Monitor connected to that same green socket, and no sound with it connected to any of the other five available sockets either, would you say my conclusion is correct that the problem lies at the computer end somewhere, given that the monitor sound was fine before I disconnected it, and likewise the external speakers?

Please help.

john bunyan 18:21 16 May 2015

Probably easier in diagnosing to use headphones. usually as you say the audio out is a green socket. I have a dedicated sound card which makes it easier.

I had a problem some time ago and I think, somehow, the external speakers had burnt out the sound card; fixed by getting new speakers and sound card.

I do not bother with monitor speakers; much better with external ones. Maybe you could check if your external ones work by plugging them into the headphone socket of another device, such as a radio.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Intel Coffee Lake release date and specifications

12 Amazing British Craft Beer Label Designs

watchOS 4 review

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017