How can I make a selected internal HDD spin down when idle?

ontodva 12:56 07 May 2015

My D: drive is only used for backups (mostly) and I want to have it spin down when it has been idle for a while. If I use Power Options that would sort of work as the system disk isn't idle for long, except when the PC is unattended. But that causes one of my external drives to vanish, so it's not a good option. Besides, I don't want the OS to spin down the system disk unless going on standby.

Back to focus: make D: spin down after 20 minutes idle, leave other disk power settings unchanged. I think there is a registry tweak but I can't find the article about it. The PC is on 8.1 update 1. The internal HDDs are C, D, & E

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:35 07 May 2015

It should already do as you stated however things like disk indexing may be keeping it running.

1st try disabling indexing that may be all thats needed.

2nd you could look at putting the drive in a caddy with a key to power on or off

wee eddie 17:48 07 May 2015

Just a thought. Will it not become invisible as a Drive

john bunyan 17:50 07 May 2015

In my tower I have 2 Extra drives mounted in slide out caddies that can be turned off with a key. I originally bought them from Maplin in Aluminium, but this seems to be a later version. I also have a spare one that I keep elsewhere and to which I make occasional clones of the main drive.

SATA rack drawer

ontodva 18:54 07 May 2015

@Fruit Bat /\0/\ "It should already do as you stated"

It's a bit complicated. When one of my external drives started dropping out of Windows ken I set Power Options to power off disks after a looong time. The external drive stays visible to Windows now, but the D drive stays spinning. I don't want an attempt at a solution for the external drive problem, though. I want D: to spin down automatically after an idle time I set while leaving other disks power settings unchanged.

robin_x 20:08 07 May 2015

Manufacturer's utility may have a Sleep time.

I remember wanting my Seagate not to spin down, but not sure where I eventually found the fix.

It may have been SeaTools.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?