How can I automatically restore open files after power outage?

edhamilton 01:04 01 Mar 2014

I usually have 20-30 files open at any given time on my business computer using Windows 7.0. Some are reminders to act or that a response is due, some are related to long term projects. Power outages (& forced updates requiring rebooting) are very inconvenient for this system of usage...I don't know which files were open & sometimes can't remember where they are located within our business network. Is there a software program that can 'automatically reopen all of the files that were open prior to the power outage. Some programs are helpful in this regard, such as Internet Explorer / Google, MS WORD & EXCEL, but others are not(MS Outlook, Foxit Phantom). Does anyone know software that can address this need?

wee eddie 02:18 01 Mar 2014

Can't suggest any software, but how about a UPS. Then all you have to do it to decide how long the outrages usually last and get one with sufficient reserves to be allow you to carry on working. Much simpler

edhamilton 17:39 03 Mar 2014

Back up power supply doesn't help with all of the reboots required for program updates...the barrage of program updates is a nuisance.

wee eddie 19:02 03 Mar 2014

I'm no entirely sure what Program Updates have to do with a Power Outrage. Please explain

jaywoo 19:33 03 Mar 2014

There are a few suggestions here

CacheMyWork looks like it was written with what you have in mind, but it's 3 years since an update.

mole1944 06:19 06 Mar 2014

Although a home user i have a UPS just in case of power outage or brown outs, i also use a belkin surge protector both with tv e.t.c. and computer equipment.

Woolwell 13:20 06 Mar 2014

You don't have to have automatic updates eg Windows updates. A UPS would sort out your power problems and in your case I would suggest that it is an essential piece of kit.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone