Hibernate ?

ykzn 14:43 09 Apr 2008

Hi all!

I am completely new to windows vista. Recently when I checked on my best friend's laptop which has windows vista home basic edition, I can't find the "hiberbate" function as in windows xp. So, does windows vista have this function?

anskyber 14:50 09 Apr 2008

They call it sleep.

Control Panel, hardware and Sound, power options.

anskyber 14:51 09 Apr 2008
  mooly 17:42 09 Apr 2008

Sleep and Hibernate and Shutdown should all show as seperate powering down options. Has the "hibernate" file accidently been deleted using disc cleanup or similar.

ykzn 09:55 02 May 2008

Hi, I'm back!

Sorry to disappear for a long time without any reply.

I was checking on various laptops with various versions of vista.

Some has this hibernate function. Some does not.

Now I'm really lost. Does it depend on windows version? If anyone knows , please, help me out.

something removed my hibernate from my 32 bit vista, it was either ccleaner or winaso, you should have an un- defragable file on system 32 called hiberfil or something similar clean up progs tend to eat it.
hover mouse over the arrow next to the padlock at the bottom of start menu hibernate should be between sleep and shut down.

Ashrich 21:14 03 May 2008

You'll probably find that the laptop hibernates on closing the lid , therefore is isn't available as an option from the shut down menu . Explore the power options in control panel.

Ashley

Ashrich 21:18 03 May 2008

Actually , have a look in Power Options , click on the option selected , then click on " Change Advanced Power Settings , scroll down to Power buttons and Lid , things can be changed from there .

Ashley

keith mac 21:54 03 May 2008

I used to use the sleep function very successfully until a patch screwed it many months ago. I never used hibernate.

Does SP1 sort out sleep?

mooly 08:04 04 May 2008

Google "Microsoft KB929658" You may have accidently deleted the hibernate file with disc cleanup.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?