Help - Wireless Network Adapter issue

KLW1985 07:00 19 Mar 2017

Hi all,

I'm having a lot of trouble with my Lenovo ideapad 100S and it not connecting/picking up wireless networks. As the title suggests, one of the diagnostic scans I did came up saying that there was no wireless network adapter present. I've tried the downloading and installing the lenovo WNA from their website, and the windows one, plus a few other things such as resetting the network, resetting the modem, etc. Can anyone think of anything else that I could try? Stressing out as I need to get my uni essay completed! :(

Operating system: Windows 10 Home System type: 64-bit

TIA

Secret-Squirrel 09:50 19 Mar 2017

Can anyone think of anything else that I could try?

Perhaps you inadvertently enabled "Airplane Mode" which switches off the wireless adapter. Try pressing the F7 key once.

If that doesn't help then what do you mean exactly when you said this?:

it not connecting/picking up wireless networks.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:32 19 Mar 2017

Wireless switch on the left hand side switched on?

Also some things to try click here

Secret-Squirrel 11:00 19 Mar 2017

Also some things to try click here

"This article only applies to devices that can detect a wireless signal and have successfully connected to a network"

Are you sure there's a wireless switch on the left-hand side? Nowadays it's usually "Airplane Mode" that does the same job.

KLW1985 12:05 19 Mar 2017

@ Secret Squirrel: Airplane mode is definitely switched off. I can toggle that on and off and have ruled that out as the cause of my connectivity issue.

@ Fruit bat: My laptop does not have a wireless switch to speak of.

When I go into device manager, the only options to appear under network adapters are the two bluetooth devices, and only shows a bluetooth network connection in the network connections pane.

Thank you for your help :)

Secret-Squirrel 12:31 19 Mar 2017

When I go into device manager, the only options to appear under network adapters are the two bluetooth devices,.............

Are there any "Unknown Devices" in Device Manager? If there are no devices with errors showing then it's worth checking that wireless hasn't been disabled in the BIOS. Here's how to get into the BIOS:

To start the BIOS setup utility: 1 Shut down the computer. 2 Press the Novo button and then select BIOS Setup

You may find that no such option exists but it's still worth having a look.

............ Stressing out as I need to get my uni essay completed! :(

Although it's not an ideal solution, you could buy a mini wireless USB adapter. I've installed loads of TP-LINK TL-WN823N adapters and they've always performed well. Copy and paste the product code into your country's Amazon page or PC World if you're in the UK. Because of its small size it won't stick out too far.

Forum Editor 16:13 19 Mar 2017

"I've tried the downloading and installing the lenovo WNA from their website"

Presumably using a different machine? If that was the case, it eliminates router problems as a possible cause.

Have you tried connecting in Windows safe mode?

putorjuy 08:52 20 Mar 2017

Does your phone can connect the wireless network?

And in the modem, does the wirless netork shows?

Try to enter the lenovo official site to download the wireless driver, and install it, because you aren't find the wireless device in device manager. Of course, you can try to show all devices by click "View" > "Show Hidden devices" to see.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse's new logo: the trainer brand looks to its heritage for a fresh identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?