Help with WiFi!!

Dagswe21 23:40 10 May 2015

Hello! I have a Dell desktop, about 1.5 years old, on W7 pro, x32. A day or two ago the symbol on the Taskbar showing WiFi signal strength disappeared! (The one like four bars, which shows available networks if you hover over it with the mouse). In its place is a sort of white square with a red symbol in it! My iPad, laptop, WiFi printers and other WiFi devices are all fine, no probs. pls can someone tell me what's happened to my desktop?? I don't remember doing anything to it. But now it says, no internet access available!! I rely on the desktop, so any help would be so appreciated, thank you!!

iNOCsolutions 07:59 11 May 2015

Have you tried checking on your Control Panel and looking at the Network and Connectivity settings? You might have accidentally changed something. Or they might be a special button on your keyboard that turns on/off the Wi-Fi?

Dagswe21 08:54 11 May 2015

To iNOC,

Thanks, yes I have gone through the Control Panel and Network settings, and as far as I can tell, it all seems ok, though I am not an expert!

Regarding the possibility of a keyboard button which toggles WiFi on and off, I had looked and cannot find one. I was going to ask for suggestions - if someone knew the correct combination, PLEASE let me know.

Also, as far as I can tell, there is no 'switch' to turn WiFi on/off on the side of the machine as far as I can tell, but anybody, again, do let me know if it is hard to find and I am missing it or something!!

Thank you everyone, I really do appreciate your help!!!!!!!!

Dagswe21 08:54 11 May 2015

To iNOC,

Thanks, yes I have gone through the Control Panel and Network settings, and as far as I can tell, it all seems ok, though I am not an expert!

Regarding the possibility of a keyboard button which toggles WiFi on and off, I had looked and cannot find one. I was going to ask for suggestions - if someone knew the correct combination, PLEASE let me know.

Also, as far as I can tell, there is no 'switch' to turn WiFi on/off on the side of the machine as far as I can tell, but anybody, again, do let me know if it is hard to find and I am missing it or something!!

Thank you everyone, I really do appreciate your help!!!!!!!!

onthelimit1 09:03 11 May 2015

Try the winsock reset tips in this thread.

Wuggy 13:21 11 May 2015

On my Dell XPS pressing the Fn and F2 keys toggles wireless on and off. There is a small wireless icon on the F2 key.

Dagswe21 11:34 16 May 2015

Thank you to all who replied, i am trying a number of different things. Thanks!!

Dag.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?