Help required concerning RAM upgrade

wrg 15:06 26 Feb 2008

I posted a topic in the help room titled "How to find RAM type" (sorry would paste link but not sure how to). Can someone please be kind enough to advise me. My main question is will upgrading from 2gb to 4gb make any difference. I mainly use it for a game I play (FM2008), connecting to my compter at work, downloading videos from camcorder and pictures and acessing the internet.
Any help would be greatley appreciated.

BurrWalnut 15:13 26 Feb 2008

Go click here click on Scan My System to determine what RAM you're using.

4GB can only be accessed by a 64bit machine.

wrg 15:15 26 Feb 2008

Thank you very much, does not seem any point in upgrading then. I am a little confused why is the machine upgradeable to 4gb when my machine will not be able to access it, or do you mean that It will not be able to access the full 4gb?

Totally-braindead 15:23 26 Feb 2008

click here this was the previous thread. And the 32 bit has been covered in the thread.

As far as I am concerned the question really is - considering the cost would he see any significant speed increase upgrading from 2 gig to 4 gigor is the differnence measured in fractions of a second?

Any Vista users done this and care to comment?

Pine Man 15:24 26 Feb 2008

32bit systems can only recognise a maximum of 4GB RAM. That has to include your system RAM, graphics etc so if you install 4GB RAM, even though your BIOS will recognise it, your o/s will only see about 3GB or just over.

BurrWalnut 15:25 26 Feb 2008

Sorry, I didn't explain it very well, read this click here

Pine Man 15:27 26 Feb 2008

I was typing my response as you posted yours!

I have Vista HE and I did upgrade from 2GB RAM to 4GB RAM and my system recognised 3GB.

Did I notice any improvement - I would like to think I did but it is impossible to tell really, certainly not worth the cost IMHO.

crosstrainer 15:29 26 Feb 2008

2GB, and use the faster ddr2 or 3 if your mobo will support it.

wrg 15:31 26 Feb 2008

Where would the like of me be without the likes of you. Many thanks all. Pine Man what is IMHO?
crosstrainer how can I tell what my mobo will support?

Totally-braindead 15:34 26 Feb 2008

Its kind of what I thought then. I know under XP the difference in going from 2 gig to 4 gig can be fractions of second and not be noticeable for most things. I just thought that Vista being as memory hungry as it is might be different.

The thing that makes me think its not worthwhile is that he would have to discard his old memory and but 2 x 2 gig chips and that to me at least makes it far too expensive and the money would be better spent on something else. Like an external hard drive and a copy of Acronis Drive Image. Or a weekend break somewhere nice:-)

Totally-braindead 15:34 26 Feb 2008

IMHO In My Humble Opinion.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

11 best portfolio websites for designers and artists

Office for Mac buying guide: Price, Office 2017 rumours & new features

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?