Help - photo files wont open as a normal image preview

sophienk1 15:51 09 May 2015

Hi, recently I've been having trouble with opening up my photographic files as a normal image on windows preview (Majority of which are JPG files). When I double click on the image in its folder, instead of it opening up as a window in image preview, a word document will open, with an alert titled "File Conversion", which asks me to select the encoding that makes my file readable. Underneath this will be a mass of codes that I have no idea how to interpret. If I select any options of encoding, a blank word document will appear, without the image. This occurred only recently, before of which my files opened normally. Please help me solve this problem, and help return it back to how it initially was, thanks!

Regards, Sophie

rdave13 17:14 09 May 2015

Check in control panel (view by large icons), Default programs. Select 'set your default programs', once it populates select 'Windows photo viewer' if that was your usual photo viewer. If it has all the defaults and still doesn't open properly then go to 'Associate a file type or protocol with a program'. Once it populates scroll down to .jpeg, .jpe and .jpe, select the change program tab and then select Windows Photo Viewer' or your preferred viewer.

lotvic 21:16 09 May 2015

Another way to set the association is to rightclick on one of your .JPG files and (about a third of way down on the list) choose 'Open With' and the bottom option is 'Choose Default program' click on that and then in the new window that opens click on the program you want and tick the box at the bottom for 'Always use this program to open this type of file' and then click on 'OK'

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone