HELP. I seem to have deleted everything when unhidding

MunnersMunro 12:27 02 Mar 2014

Hi there. I seem to have deleted or hidden everything.

The problem started when I couldn't transfer photos from my iPhone to my PC. I found this solution click here and was following the steps to delete the PreviouslyAcquired.db file as I thought this might solve my problem.

I could not find the C:\Users\AppData folder and thought it might be hidden (as per the solution), I clicked to unhide the folders and the system asked me if I wanted to unhide all subfolders to which I said yes. There was a progress bar and once finnished it seemed everything was gone. Desktop: Only Recycle bin left, Libraries are all empty and I cant find any files.

The recycle bin does not have anything in other than old deletes stuff.

What has happened. Is everything gone?

Batch 14:22 02 Mar 2014

I cannot see how just unhiding hidden files would do this. I frequently change the hidden files setting (unhiding and later hiding) in the manner described in the posting in your link and never have any issues.

It sounds to me like you have either inadvertently clicked on a delete buuton instead or there is (and was) something fundamentally corrupt about your installation.

Unless you have a backup that you can restore I'm not sure that you can readily recover (especially it is not clear as to the extent as to what has been lost).

Maybe the best you can do is create another user on your PC and use that as a clean start. But I suggest you wait and see what suggestions others might come up with.

xania 11:33 03 Mar 2014

There is plenty of software out there that can undelete files, but you need to be careful not to install them on the affect drive as you could over-write you deleted files and lose some of them permanently.

Take a look at these:

click here for software you can install and run from a key or external media. Recuva looks promising

http://www.nchsoftware.com/data-recovery/

Look

john bunyan 11:50 03 Mar 2014

I assume , in Windows Explorer , you have searched for .jpg files? Have you lost all photos, or just the ones from the iPhone?

xania 16:31 03 Mar 2014

I've just realized that the system has mucked up my reply. Try again:

There is plenty of software out there that can undelete files, but you need to be careful not to install them on the affect drive as you could over-write you deleted files and lose some of them permanently.

Take a look at these:

click here

click here for software you can install and run from a key or external media. Recuva looks promising.

Look

xania 16:33 03 Mar 2014

Still wrong - the last 2 lines are:

the 2nd click here

followed by

"Look for software you can install and run from a key or external media. Recuva looks promising."

xania 16:34 03 Mar 2014

Got it!!!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?