Health check in perfomance monitor

colinb1604 19:00 17 Sep 2008

Hi I have tried to do a health check in performance monitor, it says it is collecting data for60secs, but just goes on and on nothing happening, any ideas thank you

peter99co 20:05 17 Sep 2008

How long is on and on?

colinb1604 21:46 17 Sep 2008

I let it go for about 3 mins, the last time I did it, it was there straight away cheers

peter99co 21:50 17 Sep 2008

Try a bit longer it has a lot to check you know.

colinb1604 22:24 17 Sep 2008

It took 9 mins, before it changed to generating report, and that has been running for15mins and is still going. the last time I did this it took seconds. I got an e-mail from pc advisor this week to show how to disable stuff in vista in order to speed things up, I wonder if I have done something which may affect this. the only thing I can think of is maybe the search facility i disabled at their suggestion. I will put that back and try again cheers

peter99co 22:35 17 Sep 2008

It is sometimes best not to change things (tinker)

Did the disable stuff work?

If you are changing things it is best to only do one thing at a time unless you are sure you know the effect it has.

Post your resulting performance figure out of interest.

colinb1604 23:03 17 Sep 2008

I agree I think I have bitten off more than I can chew. i have enabled the search again but it is taking ages still.The report said os check failed---os version check failed, and it says it did not recognise any anti virus, but avg is running ok. I went to use the snipping tool to picture the report but snipping tool is not there, so I seem to have made a right pigs ear of it.I am an avid reader of thesesforums and have learnt a hellof a lot, but sometimes a little knowledge is a dangerous thing. I think I better do a system restore, and try to get back to some sort of normality, what do you think

i read the vista tips with interest, i found the parts about the search and superfetch very open to misinterpretation, the advice was poorly written and very poorly explained, the last 2 item especially. do the restore to a previous date? never disable things the way the article advised it will cause all kinds of conflicts. follow this guide only disable vista features from services.
click here

colinb1604 11:45 18 Sep 2008

I have put back the things I disabled in the pc advisor article, and it has made no difference, it still takes ages to collect 60 secs data and generate report, so that is not the problem. It transpires that my security centre is switched off, which is why it does not recognise avg 8. Any attempt to switch it on it says 'the security centre cant be switched on'. curiouser and curiouser. The report says everything has passed except for 'os system version failed' whatever that means.

brundle 12:00 18 Sep 2008

Sounds like it's a bit of a mess - run a system file check; click here

if you disabled it the way i think you did, and you are sure you have put back everything as it was, make sure. reboot and leave pc switched on running nothing for about 20 minutes, if you see a lot of hard drive activity after a couple of minutes just leave it until it calmes down and you should be back to normal.
to recreate vista security center:
Open a command window (Start/Run --> cmd.exe) and run the following
commands:

net stop winmgmt
cd /d %windir%\system32\wbem
ren repository repository.old
net start winmgmt

(or alternatively delete it using the command "rd /s repository" instead
of the ren command)

It may take a minute or so to complete while WMI rebuilds the database.
and try what brundle suggests

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?