hdd not responding to vista

niknax 21:06 18 Jun 2007

hi everyone....just bought a new laptop with vista loaded, i have a 300gb external hdd and it is not recognised by vista, tried to view it in my computer...but that just did not respond, any help appreciated. i did do a search on the forums but found nothing relevant.

anskyber 21:42 18 Jun 2007

Is it a USB connection? If it is and is not recognised by "plug and play" do you have drivers which work with Vista?

Model and make will be useful please.

skidzy 22:24 18 Jun 2007

Also check in the bios that PnP is enabled...though should be by default.

Is this a new external drive ? if so format this first in another machine.

RussB74 14:05 19 Jun 2007

Start,Control Panel, Administration Tools, Disk Management, All Your Drives Should be there, click on your new drive and format it and it will be given a drive letter, and you should be OK

RussB74 14:50 19 Jun 2007

I should add, that`s what I had to do with my new external drive.
Good Luck.

niknax 23:36 19 Jun 2007

hi folks thanks for replies....its an atmt hd360c and the hard drive has all my exsisting graphics work on it, which i have used working from two other xp machines...just thought it was a case of plug and play with vista

niknax 20:24 24 Jun 2007

i will resolve this thread...im going to buy another external hdd and copy the files over to it and format the disk thanks for all replys

madgamer234 22:15 24 Jun 2007

niknax you could always create a partition on vista pc for your 'copied files',if you have enough space.
then you can safely format the ex hdd without spending more money.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?