have you seen this news on vista & firefox 2?

Python33 02:26 24 Feb 2007

click here
i was looking at getting firefox with Vista home premium on my next laptop. not sure now!

Forum Editor 07:51 24 Feb 2007

regardless of what the fans of any particular browser might think. The Firefox problems will be fixed, but then along will come some other vulnerability.

In the main these security flaws are a theoretical problem for most average users, rather than a real one - the chances of becoming a victim are remote. That doesn't mean you should ignore a warning, but you should view it in perspective. I certainly wouldn't be deterred from using Firefox because of this.

I use Thunderbird and I run it on Vista using the Admin option on the compatibility tab otherwise Thunderbird keeps asking me for my password everytime I fire it up. The thing is I like both Thunderbird and Firefox so much that the desktop feels empty without them. The Mozilla site does not give any assurance that either of the above
are truly Vista compatible but using the admin option or the compatibility function you can get
both to work bug free I have.

Python33 19:26 24 Feb 2007

thanks for the reassurance & information.
severian
are you saying you browse using your admin account? I've been told this is very risky & not advised. as its easy for viruses & hackers to access you restricted areas.

This one will need confirming but you can set up administrator program access on Vista Ultimate on an application by application basis. When I fire up Thunderbird it flashes up a user account warning asking for administrative premission to run this application. This can be removed by using the properties option and then the compatability tab. I know that the compatability feature is in XP but the "Run this program as an administrator" switch is not. Effectively you can keep an eye on sensitive applications and issue permissions for there execution while the rest of your desktop applications run under normal user privilage.

Many thanks FE I was indeed running as an admin
so have set up a poweruser account. This is one that needs closer inspection.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?