Hard disk issue and files missing!

runedog 14:40 06 Jun 2014

Hi,

I keep/kept all my website creation files on my 2TB internal drive which was my D drive. Just over a week ago a friend asked me if I could update her site. When I went to the D drive it had changed letters and became X drive and all my other internal drives except C (O/S drive) had changed letters too. Not a biggy this as I could have remapped them but, the contents of the D (now X) had been overwritten by the contents of the C drive???

I had backed-up the D drive to my external 4TB hard drive but that too had been overwritten too by the contents of the C drive and the backup file had disappeared?

I have ran several scans to see if a virus had got through but nothing has shown up. I have ran several demo data recovery programs through the drive but none of the folder/file structure has shown up.

I have never heard or come across anything like this before! Not sure if you have any ideas on this or can help?

I do have screenshots of what the file structure looked like before the issue if that would help?

Many thanks for any/all help in this matter.

runedog 18:51 10 Jun 2014

Any help guys please?

john bunyan 19:02 10 Jun 2014

I have once used Easus Partition recovery manager when a similar thing happened on a grand daughter's laptop where somehow the recovery partition filled up to overflow and she lost stuff. Have a read - it is Free

Partition recovery

john bunyan 19:04 10 Jun 2014

Another link for it (Don't use CNet!)

Major Geeks

griffon56 17:27 11 Jun 2014

If not too much activity has occurred on your D/X drive since it corrupted then Recuva from Auslogics might enable you to get back all the missing files and transfer them to another folder. Good luck with it.

griffon56 17:31 11 Jun 2014

Sorry Runedog, Recuva is from Piriform not Auslogics. Piriform is the parent of CCleaner and other rated free software and I've used Recuva to great effect when a lot of files got deleted.

runedog 11:21 13 Jun 2014

Thanks very much for your replies guys, very much appreciated.

I have tried the above mentioned recovery programs but, with no success :)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone