Ghost icon, cannot move or delete and it stays on top other programs

MausC. 16:18 28 Mar 2014
Answered

I was moving folders on my desktop, and I must have bumped a key, because now I have a shortcut icon to a folder on my desktop.

It is greyed out, I cannot move it and it stays on top of everything I do on the computer. I do not see it in the list of what is on my desktop, and when I search the name, nothing comes up (I deleted the folder it is a shortcut to). Can anyone help me get rid of this blasted icon?

I am using Windows 7 Home Edition.

BRYNIT 16:25 28 Mar 2014
Answer

Could be a corrupt icon cache. Deleting the icon cache may solve the problem CLICK HERE

wee eddie 16:46 28 Mar 2014

Have you had a chance to reboot the computer yet?

MausC. 17:27 28 Mar 2014

HI Brynit and Eddie - thank you so much for your help. Rebuilding the icon cache by deleting it got rid of the errant icon (thanks so much!), but had the unintended consequence of locking me out of Firefox, so it took me a while to fix that to get back. My desktop icons all work and are there, but they appear greyed out for some reason. (I see that fixing things is like plying Kal-Toh...). I have rebooted several times, both before rebuilding the ocon cache and afterwards. I am looking now for a solution for my fadey icons.

rdave13 18:54 29 Mar 2014

Run the system file checker. You might need to run it more than once. Option two, step 2.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

11 best portfolio websites for designers and artists

Office for Mac buying guide: Price, Office 2017 rumours & new features

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?