Getting more and more frustrated with updates

Red Devil 11:07 09 Jan 2008

Hi all,

OK, I've posted here before since upgrading to Vista about problems with some Vista updates but it has now got to the stage where, if I can't resolve my issues, then I am going to uninstall Vista and go back to XP.

I now have 9 updates that will NOT install for love nor money. They fail again and again and again and have now slowed down my PCs performance to a level where the PC has become unusable. It also now takes several hours to turn off my PC because Windows will insist on trying to install these 9 updates no matter how many times I tell it to ignore them.

I have tried using the tool that comes with Windows Update to try and figure out just why my PC will not install these updates but one of 3 things happens:-

1) I am told that a Windows Office service is the reason why my updates won't install and that I need to disable it while installing the updates affected. Funny that seeing as how I don't have Office installed.

2) I get an error for which there is NOTHING anywhere on the internet that recognises the error code I have been given.

3) The error code changes every time I try the update so it becomes an exercise in futility even trying to track down the reason why they won't install.

Does anyone have any practical advice, help or suggestions as to how to solve this as I am now pulling my hair out in frustration at this and my family feel bad about it as it was a Christmas present that they all clubbed in to buy me?

I wish I had never even heard of Windows Vista, let alone installed it.

Many thanks.

anskyber 11:49 09 Jan 2008

If you have had this problem from new it has all the hallmarks of a software program which has been installed by the manufacturer. ( the usual rubbish they install on new machines to temp you to purchase more programs)

It looks like a non functioning machine as a result. I have just installed todays updates without drama so I think it's a your machine issue.

My advice is to reject the machine on the grounds it has never functioned correctly or at the very least get the retalier to fix it for you. This does not sound like an issue with Vista itself.

What make and model is it?

normskinner 12:00 09 Jan 2008

I know how you feel.:)

I have been running Vista for 9 months+ and recently installed SP1 beta. Since then I have been getting click here

The best way I have found is to manually download them from microsoft and then run them.

Red Devil 12:02 09 Jan 2008

I wish it were so but it's not, unfortunately.

I have had this machine for 3-4 months and was able to run XP on it successfully up until installing XP 3-4 weeks ago.

I have the following as this was a PC I built myself:-

Abit IP35 Pro motherboard
2.7GHz Core 2 Duo processor
2Gb DDR2 Ram
Asus EN8800GTS
1 x 80Gb Samsung Spinpoint SATA HD (System HD)
2 x 500 GB Samsung Spinpoint SATA HDs (Data HDs)
2 x Samsung Spinpoint SATA Lightscribe DVD-RAMs
800W Xilence PSU

I can't see it being a hardware problem given that XP ran on it with little to any issues.

So any other suggestions would be gratefully received.

Red Devil 12:04 09 Jan 2008

I meant to say in my previous post "up until installing Vista 3-4 weeks ago" not XP!

Doh!

anskyber 12:30 09 Jan 2008

I agree your hardware is more than man enough.

It still has the look of a legacy program from your XP days unless you did a clean install of Vista rather than an upgrade.

You could try as normskinner suggests, download each update in turn, I suggest to your desktop then install from there. It has worked for some.

As a tempoary measure you can go to update history and right click on the failed updates then choose hide. It will stop the nagging at switch off. Natuarlly the aim is to get them installed. You can reveal hidden updates later if you wish.

BurrWalnut 15:12 09 Jan 2008

Here are a couple of things to try :-

1. This is known to help in some cases. Go to Internet Options > Security Tab > 'Trusted sites' icon > click Sites then uncheck 'Require server verification'. Now add these 2 sites http://*.windowsupdate.microsoft.com and http://*.windowsupdate.com. Click Close, Apply and OK.

2. You need to stop the Windows Update service, rename the software distribution folder then restart the service, as follows :-
Make sure you are logged on as an Administrator and go to the Windows Orb (Start) > All Programs > Admin Tools > Services then right-click the Windows Update service then click Stop.

Go to the Windows Orb (Start), type %windir% in the Start Search box and then press Enter. Locate and rename the SoftwareDistribution folder to, say, SoftwareDistributionOLD. By renaming the folder your update history will appear to have been erased as it’s not be presented to the Windows Update Site, which may or may not be important to you.

Go to the Windows Orb (Start) > All Programs > Admin Tools > Services (Provide the Administrator password or confirmation if prompted to do so) then right-click the Windows Update service then click Start. Try to download the missing updates again.

Red Devil 15:28 09 Jan 2008

OK, I'll try that but here's the kicker. How in hell are you supposed to log in as Administrator? The *true* Administrator to do all this?

I have had a hell of a time doing so as, whenever I've tried, I've been told I need to disable the pseudo-Administrator account before doing so but Vista won't let me.

I'm seriously thinking of chucking this OS though even if I can solve this particular set of issues.

My PC is hardly a slouch yet it crawls along in Vista. I can no longer play EVE as the keyboard has now been disabled in this game after the latest Windows Update. System Restore hangs when I try and restore back to the last time the PC worked anything like I hoped it would. Programs won't load. The UAC is so invasive and implemented so poorly that I've had to uninstall whole swathes of programs I like to use. Installation of programs take an *age*. Etc, etc, etc.

This is only a personal point of view and is probably coloured by my frustrations today as others will have better experiences and will have their own points of view but, in my experience, this OS is garbage and my family wasted their money when they bought it for me.

Ho hum..............................

BurrWalnut 15:39 09 Jan 2008

Calm down, it’s only a machine!

It’s probably advisable for you to turn UAC off for the time being as I fear for your life. To turn off UAC go to Control Panel > User Accounts and click 'Turn User Account Control on/off'.
To prevent the security pop-up in the System Tray, right-click the red shield (or Control Panel > Security Center) and click 'Change the way Security Center......' then choose 'Don't notify me and don't........'.

You don’t have to turn UAC off, you can stop the prompt without UAC losing its security strengths, in Vista Home Basic and Vista Home Premium go to the Windows Orb (Start), type regedit, press Enter and navigate to registry key
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System and change the value of ConsentPromptBehaviorAdmin to 0 (zero) from 2.

For other flavours of Vista, go to Control Panel > Administration Tools > Local Security Policy > Local Policies > Security Options, scroll down to ‘User Account Control: Behavior of the elevation prompt for administrators in Admin Approval Mode‘, double-click it and set the drop-down menu to ‘Elevate without prompting’.

Once you have all the Vista updates, I suggest you run these two :-
1. Go to the Windows Orb (Start) > All Programs > Accessories and right-click Command Prompt, then ‘Run as Administrator’. Type sfc /scannow (note the space) and press Enter. This may take some time and you may have to put the Vista DVD in the drive. You can analyse the SFC log file, here click here

2. Run a Vista startup repair. This can repair more than just startup problems click here

brundle 00:09 10 Jan 2008

To enable the so called `super administrator` account, type `command` at the start orb/box thing, locate Command Prompt in the list of `found shortcuts`, right click it and select Run As Administrator

Type

net user administrator /active:yes

at the command line to enable the account. log off, and on with the new Administrator account.

To disable the account (a good idea not to use it or leave it enabled all the time), follow the steps above but use the command

net user administrator /active:no

(Not from within the new Admin account itself)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone