Frustration with all things Windows

rewardinheaven 14:48 29 May 2015

Does anyone else suffer as I do with Win 8(.1 I think). Among problems: - very very slow - constant roaring noise from the fan (HP laptop) - McAffee software repeatedly tells me I am not protected. If I use the 'fix' button I just get a website offering to sell me something I have already paid for -McA also tells me the virus protection/real time scan is disabled. Sometimes there is an option to switch it on. If I use this it immediately switches off again. - CCleaner, which I have to use several times a day to try to speed it up always finds IE files to delete. I hate IE and never ever use it - when I move the cursor to the side to try to get at the functions like Settings I sometimes have to do it fifty times before it reacts - I disconnected from my router because of some of the above and now I can't reconnect. Network centre is no help.

• my blood pressure is going up and my wife (I stupidly bought her the PC and treated myself to a Mac) is very unhappy.

Someone, somewhere please help!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:08 29 May 2015

There is nothing wrong with windows 8.1

what make and model of laptop? how long have you had it.

Its probably full of "crapware" that's pre-installed on most machines nowadays.

McAfee was probably loaded as a trial? I would uninstall it and use Avast free instead.

robin_x 15:50 29 May 2015

Might be worth Windows Refresh or Reset in the first instance

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?