free vista upgrade and moduslink farce

frankie 05:46 17 Jun 2007

acer free vista upgrade and moduslink nightmare,bought qualifing laptop,sent off for free vista upgrade,waited months since jan 07,always showed as pending,sent all my documents,loads of emails,now the qualifing period has ended,they say order cancelled, i dont intend to let this drop....there are loads of others from all different companies dell.sony etc affected by this...i bought laptop from comet, a acer one.which clearly stated free vista upgrade...can any one tell me if my contract has been breached..and is my recourse of action back to comet under the sale of goods act?.at the worst can i reject the laptop if vista upgrade disc is now not going to be forthcoming,bought in jan 07..worried re the time i have spent waiting,i would not have got laptop if i knew this was going to happen,the laptop works fine on xp,but feeling conned...thanks for looking

frankie 05:47 17 Jun 2007

further to above

had two phone calls from comet,one from head office manager,hopefully this will be resolved soon if they keep there word,will see what happens next week and post back so if this affects you,keep watching,as i now have a head office phone number to someone in the know.

Green Army 21:28 17 Jun 2007

i had a problem with modus as well, i tried to get an upgrade for my Fujitsu Siemens and was told i didnot qualify for an upgrade. so i went and brought a new copy of vista in march, than last week i got my copy through from modus which cost me £70 and put me overdrawn in the bank. but i cant contact them to try and sort this problem out.

frankie 11:29 26 Jun 2007

oh well this is now ended great result,got the boxed upgrade in the post today for free and its the vista home premium shop package,149.99,so far far better then expected,manager at comet head office most helpful,moduslink useless,but happy with my result,my advice bypass moduslink and go direct,be polite but fair,know your rights,wont bother posting phone numbers as no posts,so probably this only applied to me,taking comet on,but should apply to other retailers

pluggy12 16:01 11 Jul 2007

You were lucky. I bought a qualifying Toshiba Laptop from Morgan Computers. Followed instructions for upgrade on Moduslink site. The status of "free" Vista upgrade on Moduslink changed to "Cancelled" after having a status of ".... shipped" for quite some time.

Moduslinks replied to me querying status by saying " ........ to avoid any potential driver conflicts with your machine, your order has been cancelled.". This driver issue has supposedly been resolved, but they are now saying website closed and no new orders.

Been fob'd off by Morgan Computers, Toshiba, Microsoft/Moduslink, each one says the other is to blame.

You were lucky, you would think one of these large corporations could sort something out, I just want my money back for laptop as I wouldn't have bought it without the "free" upgrade.

Comeon Toshiba/Microsoft even Morgan Computers, surely you can do something.

Well done to Comet..

lucyjane2000 00:27 23 Jul 2007

Hi Frankie,
I have the exact same problem with my hp laptop from comet. Can you please tell me who you called at head office and on what number? That is if you remember. Would greately appreciate it please?

Many thanks
Lucy xxx

P1d 16:42 23 Jul 2007

I'm watching this thread with interest, I've had same problem with moduslink, sent all paperwork numerous email etc but still no free vista upgrade!!

P1d

alanw5 16:44 23 Jul 2007

After much ranting at these people I have ended up 6 months later with TWO upgrade cd's for my Lenovo laptop. So I suppose I can't complain. Dunno if the second copy would install on any machine????

frankie 20:24 23 Jul 2007

hi re info request,i had to get trading standards advice,but basically your contract is with comet,you would not have bought pc if you could not get your vista disc,therefore the sale of goods act comes into force,not fit for the purpose item purchased for,the very helpful chap mr peter hammas at comet head office 07880785738 he took my case on and came through for me,comet shop staff knew nothing re moduslink and would not help,he did,,i would have took comet to small claims court to sort this,but happy with my outcome good luck to you and others,as far as i know some have had luck with pc world too,moduslink a farce from day 1

lucyjane2000 23:01 23 Jul 2007

Thank you so much! I spend 2 hrs calling moduslink, hp and comet today. No-one wanted to help. Will call this guy tomorrow, thanks again. Will let you know xx

lucyjane2000 16:14 25 Jul 2007

might it have been peter hamer who helped?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?