Free 3rd party Vista compatible firewalls

de_de 15:57 24 Sep 2007

Having searched this and other forums, I have tried ZoneAlarm, and PC tools free edition firewalls on my new laptop. The Zonealarm product just about halved my internet connection speed, and the PC tools one, caused my computer to freeze (only a battery removal would allow me to reboot).

My laptop is cheap I know that, but I only want it for surfing really.

Fujitsu Siemens Amilo, Turion 64 MK38 2.2GHZ,1GB RAM,Vista Home Basic

I've reverted back to the Vista firewall but I'm worried about the outbound protection. Does anyone know of any other Vista compatible firewalls yet, that doesn't hog my system resources?

Many thanks in advance

Paul

tullie 17:48 24 Sep 2007

I use ZA and have no problem with it,my specs are not terrific either

Ashrich 18:13 24 Sep 2007

The free PC Tools one is great , installs easily and runs quickly and quietly ,click here and look for the bit that says that you don't want Spyware Doctor as well , it's not ready for Vista yet .

Ashley

Ashrich 18:15 24 Sep 2007

Sorry , just seen that you used PC Tools one already , funny it did that to your PC , I run it on my Dell 6400 with similar specs to yours and it runs flawlessly ....I'll think again !

Ashley

Pine Man 18:25 24 Sep 2007

Just in case you weren't aware the Vista firewall works for both in and outbound traffic.

Also if you are using a modem/router it should have a hardware firewall in it.

Both of the above together should be more than adequate as long as you also have AV & spyware.

i tried the vista firewall on shields up and it failed on every test. the outbound is turned off by default if you turn it on nothing works.
(courtesy of gudgulf)
click here
click here

de_de 20:49 25 Sep 2007

Thanks for the replies. I have sinced re-installed zonealarm and have found my internet connection speed back up to what it should be. The difference this time is that I have removed the 'free for 90 days Norton antivirus'. I have also changed from Avast to AVG antivirus.

Whether these are the fixes is hard to say, but i'm well happy now. I also really like the AVG interface.

Shame the PC tools firewall didn't work as I really liked the interface. Perhaps there was a conflict with my Thompson Speedtouch USB modem software, as it was with that when the computer froze. It also froze when trying to uninstall it, until I managed it in safe mode.

I will still look for a better firewall in due course, as many people say that zonealarm 'free' isn't as good as it once was.

rdave13 19:06 26 Sep 2007

Comodo might be releasing version 3 next month; click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?