Forgotten password, have tried options suggested

georgie.elliott0451 15:39 01 Jan 2014

Hi all and Happy New Year

Need access to old business laptop, forgotten password. I have tried: orpcheck...password not found system restore point..there wasn't one (I have learned the hard way) repair disc burned to a cd from another accessible laptop. This last method was working to the letter until it came to the command prompt box, where it asked for....the password. Aaaarrggh.

northumbria61 18:37 01 Jan 2014

Is this the User Account password? I have exactly the same problem with a friends laptop running Vista. Orpcheck is one of the better programs to use on this occasion. I tried it and 2 others - all came up with 3 accounts and all showing password not found as is the case with yours.

The best option is to create a password recovery disc but it has to be done on the PC/Laptop that you are trying to recover - ie: before the problem occurs (you have to foresee this as a possibility that it can happen) so therefore it is too late for that option.

I would try running your repair disc again. Where it comes to the command prompt is it not possible to just present enter and by-pass it? Other than that I am unable to help further.

I am currently waiting for my friend to obtain/borrow a Vista install disc (the same version) to see if I can rectify his problem.

Good luck!

northumbria61 18:38 01 Jan 2014

present enter - should read press enter

georgie.elliott0451 18:55 01 Jan 2014

Thanks for the advice northumbria61...we tried, we failed. Very frustrating, but I have learned my lesson :)

lotvic 20:29 01 Jan 2014

northumbria61, You could burn your own install DVD to use with laptops product key, Windows Vista Official Microsoft Direct Download Links on this page click here

northumbria61 17:20 02 Jan 2014

lotvic - thanks for that. I had done a search on the MS site but couldn't find anything. Have seen the site you gave link to previously (many moons ago) but never thought to look on this occasion. Friend currently away so no rush - ie: if he has the time to go away, I have plenty of time to decide my options!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?