Force windows to use more RAM

cemopolat 07:14 27 Mar 2014

Hi,

I have assigned more than enough RAM for a virtual machine (W7 64 bit guest in Vmware Workstation); 32 GB.

There is no problem but sometimes I notice too much disk activity and CPU usage because of some "heavy" applications.

I wonder if there is a way to force Windows use more RAM to cache applications or related files etc..

• I tried to decrease swap memory (even disabled) but didn't help much.

• I checked prefetch service and it is running

• I increased min. memory for SQL server and other applications' spesific settings, but that didn't help too much either

I appreciate any ideas like some registry settings, fine tunings to maximize RAM usage and minimize disk usage etc.. Or maybe more "low level" settings in registry like disk read/write parameters, cache/block sizes..

Thanks in advance..

Cemo

cemopolat 07:37 27 Mar 2014

I forgot to mention average memory usage; It is generally 30% and max 60%. I have never seen it goes more than 60% even under heavy load. That is why I am trying to force Windows to use more RAM and less disk.

ProtectandAccess 06:08 28 Mar 2014

It's a good idea. I also notice that PC using maximum of 60% of RAM. It would be better if i could force PC to use more memory. But i don't have idea how to employ it. So i could only add few GB of more RAM in my PC.

TsakiridisStavros 17:22 08 Apr 2014

1.Go to Start->Control Panel->System 2.If you see something like this: Usable RAM 1]: [click here press windows logo key + R and type msconfig 4.Go to Boot tab->Advanced Options and check Maximum memory 5.Save and restart your computer

3.Then

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017