The five secrets behind Windows 7's success

johndrew 17:04 07 Aug 2010

Has anyone else read this article on the Home page click here

I feel a bit confused as under '3. Security' it says, "... DEP (data execution prevention)... that don't exist in Windows XP."

I am running XP Pro and it definitely has DEP installed. Perhaps I have a version of XP with some bits of W7 attached ;-)

Forum Editor 17:38 07 Aug 2010

from Speakers Corner.

johndrew 14:25 09 Aug 2010

Interesting, even the FE has nothing to say on this one.

Why wont it work 16:20 09 Aug 2010

I was of the belief that XP had supported DEP for years too. My old laptop running XP certainly has it, and I'm confident my past computers running XP have too.

It's probably just a small oversight/mistake, Wikipedia says XP has supported DEP since SP2.

a member 16:48 09 Aug 2010

I think its just written in a misleading way ,they meant to say : DEP (data execution prevention), UAC (user account control), and PMIE (Protected Mode IE) - that don't exist in Windows XP.
it does not say DEP is not in windows XP . the comma between each section seperates them .
for example windows 7 is great it has loads of better features ,and PMIE that xp does not have .
the auther could have been clearer , As we all know xp does have DEP.
INCIDENTALLY dep ,UAC ,security centre ,windows firewall ,are all disabled on my machine .
3rd party does it better and with less invasiveness.

KremmenUK 11:22 10 Aug 2010

I wonder if they mean "Interactive Services Detection" ?

This is a new feature in Vista and 7 that determines whether a program is being run via the user (session 1) or interactively (session 0). If session 0 is detected then it refuses permission.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?