First character entered when loggin-in after power-up is ignored, W8.1

dave2207 10:03 08 Jul 2014

When I power-up my PC and log-in for the first time, the first keypress when I type my password is ignored. I have to type the first character of the password twice, as nothing appears in the password box when I press the first key. It makes no difference whether I click the mouse in the text-box or not. Subsequent log-ins are not affected by this problem. At first, I couldn't understand why my password was rejected at every first log-in of the day; it was only when I looked at the screen whilst typing (by accident, as I am not a touch-typist - I look at the keys when typing) that I noticed that the first keypress was being ignored. I have 64-bit Windows 8.1 Professional, with all updates installed; a USB keyboard and an Asus Z87-Pro motherboard. This is puzzling - does anybody else have this 'feature?'

northumbria61 14:11 08 Jul 2014

Do you wait long enough for the computer to take the command? It may be that it is just not quite ready, a delay for some reason when it is cold.

dave2207 06:55 09 Jul 2014

(1) It does not seem to matter whether I log-in immediately or after some time. I have tried a longer wait after the PC boots, but no difference.

(2) I am concerned about security, lest my computer be hacked or stolen, so I consider that having a password is essential. Also, I always log-in as an ordinary user (without admin rights) and have a different admin password. This makes it much more difficult for malicious software to affect the computer.

northumbria61 07:21 09 Jul 2014

Not an answer to your problem Dave but similar thing here with LINUX (but no solution) LINUX

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone