File sharing.

LastChip 22:24 24 Sep 2006

Has anyone managed to share files between Vista and legacy computers (Win ME or Win 98[SE])?

I'm doing some research into this and so far have dismally failed to get the legacy machines to be able to access Vista. There is no problem sharing with XP based machines, or Vista accessing the legacy computers.

If anyone has any information, please share it.

Thanks.

ade.h 16:40 25 Sep 2006

I was reading an article somewhere that stated the same thing: 9x installations apparently won't interface. It didn't say at which end the problem resided.

LastChip 17:20 25 Sep 2006

As you may realise from my post, the problem is accessing Vista from old Windows OS's.

I've a feeling that it can't be done, but I wanted to make sure and if anyone can prove me wrong, I'd be delighted!

For the avoidance of doubt, Vista CAN access legacy computers. (sort of a one way street).

ade.h 17:46 25 Sep 2006

Yes, thanks, I realise the essence of the problem.

LastChip 12:11 28 Jan 2007

In three months, I haven't come up with a definitive answer, so can only assume it's not possible.

I'll tick as resolved, but if anyone has anything to add, please feel free.

BurrWalnut 13:33 28 Jan 2007

I know you've closed the thread but as an experiment, I've just booted up an old Win98 PC which can access the WinXP desktop but not the Vista laptop. They are all in the same workgroup so it should find the Vista laptop.

So, I agree with you, it can't be done.

Here I go, straw-clutching, could it be something to do with the slightly different format of Vista's NTFS?

LastChip 20:54 28 Jan 2007

It looks like there isn't a reliable solution, even though your link indicates minor successes.

I guess Microsoft really doesn't want it to happen and suspect they want to see the final death of '98.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?