Federal Agencies Ban Windows Vista

Newuser38 20:44 14 Mar 2007

click here its seems that some US Federal Agencies are not permitting use of Vista or in fact IE7 or Windows 2007. What happens in our Government departments on something like this?

have used it 'sparingly' but have had following problems, occasional brief freezing, 4 total lockups, 2 games out of 21 run fully, 3 with sound problems, the ones that do work can freeze promting vista to report unknown hardware error, reg mechanic 6 removes important files, ccleaner removes icons, not sure about nis07 but definate problems with kasperspy 6, system backup works on the 4th/5th attempt, problems with all benchmarking and performance programs.
i guess it's because its new, but has been a long time in the making, have done a fresh install twice, no difference, hp admit compatibily problems, but bought the pc vista ready in july.
im not trying to knock it just telling of the problems i have had, oh and i hate the defrag

crosstrainer 06:57 15 Mar 2007

That defrag really is a pain! You can't see what it's doing, it takes forever to complete, and to cap it all...the file system is still ntfs...what is going on?

i cannot work out how, or if you can choose which drive to defrag, because with 3 drives 80, 120 500 gb it takes a good couple of hours, and i dont need the external defraging anyway.

crosstrainer 14:21 15 Mar 2007

You can't, it just does them all.... even the playground machine iv'e installed Vista on has 2x 250gb sata 3 hdds....takes ages, tells you zip about progress...what it's doing etc. However, it did seem to make a difference to performance last time I ran it...just need a couple of weeks to spare!

bennyhillslovechild 03:27 16 Mar 2007

Crosstrainer - Ooh - that's interesting. I've not got round to a defrag yet, only had the pc a couple of weeks. But with a 500gb and a 250gb harddrive, I'm guessing it's gonna take a while. Would it be better for me to fork out for Diskeeper instead? I used to use it on my old XP machine, and loved it.

Sorry to threadjack there, Newuser38, forgive my lack of netiquette :)

silverous 14:08 16 Mar 2007

I don't think this is as alarming as the headline first suggests, and probably no different to our government departments or any large organisation.

As the article says:

"It is not unusual that agencies aren't rushing to install major software updates. Large organizations in particular tend to do a lot of testing before upgrading"

And they are right to do so, I've found Outlook 2000&XP don't work with Vista, various photography tools I use no longer work - so in a large department with thousands of applications you'd expect them to be cautious.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?