Faster network speeds with Vista?

De Marcus™ 21:18 15 Sep 2006

I'm quite happily dual booting the latest RC1 with XP Pro on a test machine.

The test machine is connected via a Router to the Telewest modem (10mb service), on XP I can download at a speed of around 1.05mb/s, when booted with vista, the same download seems to have an increased speed of around 1.3mb/s. To validate the difference I downloaded the same file 3 times on each OS, every time Vista had an increased speed and at one point told me I was getting 1.6mb/s?

Is it a case of pot luck with my isp or does Vista have some kind of network optimiser (which I doubt)?

Both installations are fresh.

De Marcus™ 00:42 16 Sep 2006

Sorry, Vista doesn't have am increased speed of around 1.3mb/s (Iwish), rather it seems to consistanly have a faster download speed.

De Marcus™ 12:21 16 Sep 2006

Any takers?

Ashrich 22:58 17 Sep 2006

Have you actually timed the downloads ? Maybe as it's only a release candidate and still needs some optimising it might be misreporting ....

Ashley

terryf 02:30 18 Sep 2006

My son has installed vista and reports a faster apparent download speed ( but could it be that Vista has tweaked the mtu settings?

sunny staines 16:15 18 Sep 2006

huge speed increase with bulldog isp on a lynsky router,

De Marcus™ 20:13 18 Sep 2006

a 100 mb file downloads consistently faster on Vista by around 20-30%. Time wise and speed wise.

I still don't get it? Vista hasn't got any special mind control powers which it transmits to my ISP to convince them to open the fat pipe a little more, or does it....

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone