Extremely slow boot up and frequent inactivity

Rebuilt 14:34 02 Oct 2013

I have a Compaq laptop with Win7 that is set up with multiple accounts (mine is in use most of the time) and the PC stays on most of the time. Over a period of time it has become very sluggish when changing accounts (up to 5 miniutes sitting on wallpaper before icons appear) and then needs at least 10 minutes to settle down before it will respond to simple things like opening a browser window. It remembers you have asked and will open it eventually but after a long period of appearing to do nothing. The browser (firefox) has been hanging up from time to time as well and it seems generally sluggish and unresponsive. I have tried rebooting the computer and it takes about 30 minutes - mostly sitting on the 'starting windows' screen. I tried a second time in case it was resolving anything but with the same timing. I have looked at the programs running in task manager and I cant see anything obviously wrong - but there are a lot that I don't know. CPU load does not seem high (bouncing between 3% to 20%).

Any idea of a cause and, more importantly, how I can go about finding a solution.

Rebuilt 16:10 02 Oct 2013

Thanks for your advice. As a first step I checked the drivers and was surprised to see the Laptop itself was showing a driver problem. I went into troubleshooter and it tells me 'There is a problem with the driver for File as Volume Driver' However, clicking on the 'Apply this Fix' results in it searching for a long time and then failing to fix the problem.

Have you any idea what this means?

Number six 22:40 02 Oct 2013

Your user profile may be corrupted. Try creating a new one. If successful you can transfer over all your old files and settings.

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?