External HDD no longer recognised

dms05 11:53 27 Jan 2008

I have a new Western Digital 500GB USB HDD and I've used that to transfer items from my XP laptop to my new Vista laptop. It worked well when the HDD was the only item connected to a USB and I'd not installed any programs.

However after installing Firewalls, Anti-Virus, Anti-Malware, Printer and Browser plus a Docking Station the HDD is no longer recognised. Initially it was still visible but reported zero capacity, now it's not visible at all and I get little bubble messages saying a USB device has malfunctioned (even though it's still on the same USB port).

If I attach it to my XP laptop (with the same programs running) it works 100%.

Any ideas what might be happening?

anskyber 11:54 27 Jan 2008

Try disabling, one at a time the firewall, AV etc and see if it works.

dms05 12:18 27 Jan 2008

I have just disconnected all USB devices and reconnected them in the order of most important first.

The result is, with careful selection of the USB port I use, I can get all devices to work but some are at USB1 transfer rates. As this isn't important for my printer or internet phone I can live with this workaround.

However I'm still getting reports from Vista that some USB devices aren't recognised (whilst they are). It would be nice to know why it's happening! It didn't with XP which suggests somewhere along the line I have a dodgy driver for one of the devices.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?