Explorer 64 bit !!

Petesilver 14:15 09 Aug 2010

can someone just explain why I have 2 IE8 programs on my new PC which is windows 7 64bit one seems to work with some programs like roboform ok but one is labeled IE 64 bit ?? just out of interest why 2 there are two I presume the other works with 32bit programs but I am only guessing.

a member 17:54 09 Aug 2010

yes its just that ,64bit is the way everything is going now .but many people have programs that are 32bit only and will only work in a 32bit environment ,If you go into (my computer) and click on your main drive you will see (in a 64bit machine) 2 program files folders .
adobe photoshop will install a version for each as well .
in the next year or so you will see a lot of the 32bit stuff dissappearing for good . by the next operating system release almost everything will be 64bit . and soon after 32bit will be gone forever.

a member 17:57 09 Aug 2010

to add to the first post , some websites are old and will not support 64bit internet explorers features .if you have trouble with any website ,try the other version you may be in luck.

Zeppelyn 21:31 10 Aug 2010

And one of the biggest problems with IE 64 bit is that there is NO 64 bit flash player as yet.

kindly 08:52 11 Aug 2010

Yesterday I got a notice to say there was an update for my Java on the 32 bit browser. I did it then was directed to the web site. While there I noticed a link for the update for the 64 bit version of IE. I did it then restarted the computer. I tried my 32 bit explorer and it was ok, then tried the 64 bit one and it seemed ok untill I went onto facebook. As I expected it does not work on the 64 bit IE.
So still no workable Java for 64 bit machines. I still dont know what the link I followed did even though it was still the offical java site. This even when their site checked my system and said it was ok on 64 bit.

kindly 08:59 11 Aug 2010

i know there is no Flash for 64 bit machines though. I wonder when they will produce one. Any ideas

Petesilver 13:54 12 Aug 2010

Hello Kindly
I ckecked the 64 bit browser every thing seem to work ok including Facebook but not Youtube as as stated above there is no 64 bit flash player as of yet.
Going back to Java I think you have to download both the 32 & 64 bit I have and all seems to work except programs that need a Flash Player.The adobe site does not give any indication when they will have one perhaps someone on here can tell us ??

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone