Every time I play a game explorer HDD go all wacky. Never seen this problem before now.

corebela 23:11 28 Apr 2013

OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate Version 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601 OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation System Name COREY-PC System Manufacturer MSI System Model MS-7641 System Type x64-based PC Processor AMD Athlon(tm) II X2 270 Processor, 3400 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s) BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. V17.12, 28/11/2012 SMBIOS Version 2.6 Windows Directory C:\Windows System Directory C:\Windows\system32 Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1 Locale Canada Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.1.7601.17514" User Name Corey-pc\Corey Time Zone Eastern Daylight Time Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 4.00 GB Total Physical Memory 4.00 GB Available Physical Memory 3.00 GB Total Virtual Memory 8.00 GB Available Virtual Memory 6.44 GB Page File Space 4.00 GB Page File C:\pagefile.sys

This NEVER happened before a few days ago. Not sure exactly when as I didn't play for a few days. I was able to alt tab out of games whenever I wanted before that without any issue whatsoever.

Explorer keeps jumping from normal, low memory usage of between 10MB and 30MB, to using 500MB, to 1GB and slightly above, to using half my ram at 2GB. Explorer goes from normal to that in an instant when this happens. That CANNOT be right. I just noticed this happens when doing anything more intensive than using Firefox or playing a video. First I thought it was just when I alt tab out of any game, Mass Effect 2 in particular right now. When I alt tab out of ME2 it takes a few minutes for the hdd to stop thrashing, and for explorer to stop using so much ram. Also everything goes very very slow, practically frozen for that few minutes. But I also tried a much much much less intensive game (Halo 1) and the same thing happens, it just stops within a minute. It should not be happening even for a few seconds.

I was just downgrading my GPU driver to see if it would fix it (didn't help) and noticed explorer do the huge ram usage thing for a few seconds while installing the driver. Which is how I know it is not just from games like I originally thought. Also after I alt tab out of ME2 after I'm able to do things again, my HDD will still keep doing things for a few more minutes. I looked at the resource monitor to see what the HDD is accessing. It seems to be accessing a lot of things unnecessarily. I have screen shots of resource monitor and task manager during the activity. Looks way way out of whack to me. If needed I can post a hijack this log and combofix log.

corebela 23:12 28 Apr 2013

Ill have screen shots soon

corebela 23:25 28 Apr 2013

Before http://imageshack.us/f/96/help1u.jpg/

After using paint to make the first pic above http://imageshack.us/f/843/help3l.jpg/

Right after I alt tabbed out of ME2. http://imageshack.us/f/51/hel4.jpg/

After the explorer freezing and using all my ram is over. Lots and lots of weird disk activity. Lots more svchost PID 1836 above and below what is visible (notice scroll bar size). http://imageshack.us/f/802/hel8.jpg/

lotvic 18:32 29 Apr 2013

"Page File Space 4.00 GB" You could increase that to 6.00 GB as some think should ideally be one and a half times your ram sticks, or you could let Windows decide the size. See if it makes a difference.

Post back with results, when you see what programs are using the page file system. This thread (from 2007 - but has good info) will give you the basics www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=168248

Also if Explorer is having problems you could run sfc /scannow to do a system file check, you'll prob need your OS's DVD in the tray so it can replace any missing or corrupt system files.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/1538-sfc-scannow-command-system-file-checker.html

corebela 19:50 29 Apr 2013

I already set page file to let windows decide. I also did the sfc /scannow with no problems found. This started happening without me doing anything to change my page file space. And getting progressively worse but only when it comes to games really. Which is just so odd to me. It's almost like windows is trying to access everything at once or everything very slowly when I play a game.

lotvic 20:36 29 Apr 2013

How full is the drive? Maybe harddrive needs defragging. Might be running low on available spare space so is having to do a lot of searching for spaces to put it's data.

corebela 23:13 29 Apr 2013

Wow after 3 days trying to figure this out and removing malware and defraged and whatever else with no help, I finally figured out that it doesnt happen at all if the game I'm running is the same resolution as my desktop. Why could this happen?

corebela 23:13 29 Apr 2013

I would just look it up but I tried and can't figure out what wording I should use.

corebela 23:14 29 Apr 2013

Theres about 100GB left on both my HDD.

corebela 23:24 29 Apr 2013

Wow I figured it out. It was because my desktop background was 700MB large. It had to reload all that every single time the resolution switched back to default when minimizing a game. Hope this dumb problem I had helps someone else. Thanks!

lotvic 11:06 30 Apr 2013

Glad you found out what the cause was, and for posting, it will help others with same problem.

If you think it's sorted, you can close this thread by clicking on one of the big grey ticks at the right of any post and it will turn green. When page is refreshed the Thread will be marked 'Resolved' (Can also be Unticked by reverse - click on green tick and it will turn grey, etc)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?