Ethernet not working in Vista at all

Audio~~Chip 23:18 04 Dec 2008

The Ethernet controller has disapeared in hardware list of deivce manager in Vista Pemium 32bit. The Router a netgear can see the cable is connected but is unable to comunicate to the vista desktop and the little screen icon near bottom right has a perminant red cross on it.

I have manually downloaded tghe Nvidia Ethernet driver and installed but no Ethernet is showing installed in the machine, also tried clearing the BIOS by jumper cap removal to reset still nothing.

Laptop connect fine to router with Ethernet cable. Their is a light on the rear of the machine which is green indicating cable is connected but the other light which I think is for data flow is not flashing or solid at all.

Do you think its a fault with the motherboard please. Any more info needed please ask as my desktop is the workhorse.

brundle 00:00 05 Dec 2008

Tried system restore?

Audio~~Chip 00:37 05 Dec 2008

Desktop is a friends new Packard bell from PCWorld. only 3 weeks old, worked briefly then lost Ethernet and broadband connection to her sky BBand. I carn't repair and TCP/ip, flush dns flush etc, no elavation with no actuall adapter being seen in system. I have also downloaded the newer BIOS for the system from P. Bell with no change and performed a full factory recovery nothing. Think Motherboard is faulty.

Wonder if the memory could be faulty, might consider a MemTest on it ?

Thanks

Audio~~Chip 10:14 05 Dec 2008

tried ever sensible fix and nothing will resolve the problem. With it being a Packard Bell then I would suspect it could effect other models of the same as they all house the same motherboard which is a ECS brand. The Packard Bell is a I-Media I Start D2314 if anyone happens to have this machine and have problems like this its a motherboard fault.

Thanks brundle also for your call!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?