Error message on disk defragmenter

DMQ 15:50 07 Sep 2014

I have Windows XP Professional SP3. When I try to use disk defragmenter I get the message 'Disk Defragmenter has detected that Chkdsk is scheduled to run on the volume (C). Please run Chekdsk /f. I run this and get the message 'The type of file system is NTFS. Cannot lock current drive. Ckdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts. Y/N. I enter Y and restart but stll get the error message. Any advice on how to correct this so I can defragment?

northumbria61 21:50 17 Sep 2014
  DMQ 12:17 01 Oct 2014

If I cancel chkdsk does this mean the PC will never check the hard drive on boot up?

Techpumpkin_WD 13:36 01 Oct 2014

Hello there,

A PC normally shouldn't run chkdsk on every boot. It should run it only if there was an unexpected shutdown and the volume was flagged dirty. Windows could sometimes forget to clear the flag after chkdsk was successful run and this will result with chkdsk being run on each boot. So it is not a problem canceling this - you can always schedule a chkdsk if needed. Hope that helps.

DMQ 14:26 03 Oct 2014

Thanks. I'll do as you suggest. How do I schedule a chkdsk if I need to?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:34 03 Oct 2014

just

start -run - type chkdsk /f pressOK

as this is the op system drive windows will schedule it and do it on next boot, even if you applied the patch above as the patch only cancles the next boot scheduled check not all scheduled checks

DMQ 21:17 12 Oct 2014

Thanks for that.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?