Error 5: Access is denied when try to install programs

Skyler33 14:28 14 Apr 2015

Anytime I try to install any program I get this error:

Setup was unable to create the directory "E:\Program Files..."

Error 5: Access is denied.

I have not made any recent changes to my firewall, or antivirus... but I did delete some empty "temp" folders on my C: drive "documents & settings" area, because I thought they were useless.

I've been reading up on this error, and I think deleting those folders may have caused the problem, but I'm not sure. I don't remember where they were, and I'm not sure if it's as simple as just re-creating the folders again.

Any help greatly appreciated. Thank you!

robin_x 17:08 14 Apr 2015

You should be installing to C:\Program Files not E:

Did it really say E:? Try a Custom install to C:

=-=-=

It may be a problem with redirects from legacy Documents and Settings junction point that you have deleted

Try Recuva Free from a Flash Drive to get the deleted items back (check they are not in Recycle Bin first)

robin_x 17:13 14 Apr 2015

Edit: Try a Custom install to C:Program Files

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:02 14 Apr 2015

Op stsyem ? windows 8.1?

have you moved the documents and settings folder to e: ?

this is usual with an SSD (C:) for windows and all programs and data stored on a seperate HDD (E:) optical drive (D:)

Skyler33 22:46 14 Apr 2015

I'm using Windows XP. I usually install all my programs on E: and do not clutter up my C: drive with anything that does not NEED to be on there.

I've never had any problems with installing on E: until now. The temp files I deleted from C: are all gone and can't be recovered. they were mostly from the documents and settings folder I think.

robin_x 00:20 15 Apr 2015

E: is fine if that is your normal place for installs.

=-=-=

Try the System File Checker

Press Windows key+R and type sfc /scannow

=-=-=

Try System Restore to a time when the computer worked

Press Windows key+R and type rstrui.exe

(does not affect you files and folders. It will affect programs installed since a previous date. It won't bring back deleted items)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

ManvsMachine win UK's only Gold Design Cannes Lions award

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?