epson printer drivers missing today

conrail 19:53 19 May 2015

laptop running windows 8.1 with an epson stylus photo R285, for about 1 year they have worked in perfect harmony, today I was unable to print because the laptop said no printer installed, looked in printers and there it was, unfortunately there was no default printer selected and no option to select the epson, clicking on the printer told me the status said no drivers available, I went to epson page and reinstalled the drivers, epson374897eu.exe, clicked setup, accepted the license agreement and received the message 'the printer package cannot be installed, I have spent most of the day talking to epson who although very helpful kept going round in circles, can anybody here help me please, I don't want to replace the printer because I always have plenty of cartridges handy for the amount of printing I do, and replacing those would be a waste, I currently have a report to print out by the end of the week and a quiz to print out for Friday night, although quite a regular user of the printer I haven't used it recently for 2 weeks, (holidays), so all help and advice appreciated,

conrail 20:44 19 May 2015

trying various options, ie system restore, still no printer, clicking on print for a web page asks me to install a printer, then tells me I can't add a printer because 'the local print spooler service is not running, please rerstart the spooler or restart the machine, I have restarted the machine many times but no idea on how to restart the spooler service

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:20 20 May 2015

type services.msc in the search box

scroll down to the print spooler service highlight it - right click - properties - set the startup yype to automatic and click on Start.

click Ok and close services - hopefully that will solve the problems.

conrail 13:38 20 May 2015

thank you Fruit Bat /\0/\, that has it sorted, your help again, like many times before is appreciated, again many thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?