.eml attachments

Stainless007 19:33 12 Apr 2010

I get quite a few e-mails with .eml attachments. I used to be able to open these with no problems but for some reason or another I now find I can't. I get the following message box when ever I try:-

Windows can't open this file

This happens even with the ones I had previously opened & saved. It gives 2 choices, the web or manually try to open with programs on my computer. If I use the web to find a program, all I get are sites wanting to clean my registry & then tell me they have found hundreds of faults that need attention so you will have to buy their program to fix them.
I already have a program that cleans my registry i.e. Ashampoo WinOptimzer.
I have found that IE will open the attachments but this is not very convenient & was not the way they used to open.
I use Windows Live Mail for my e-mails & Windows 7 OS. This is a new computer not an upgrade.
It may not be the case, but this problem may have occurred after I used Windows Security Essentials.
Even though I use Ashampoo WinOptimzer almost daily Essentials found more that it recommended should be removed.

james105051 19:36 12 Apr 2010

Try this click here

Technocrate 08:26 13 Apr 2010

To resolve this behavior, either run the Msimn executable file with the /reg option to force Outlook Express to re-register its file types, or re-register the .eml file type in My Computer.

To run the Msimn executable file with the /reg option:
1.Quit Outlook Express.
2.Click Start, and then click Run.
3.In the Open box, type msimn /reg, and then click OK.
To re-register the .eml file type in My Computer:
1.On the desktop, double-click My Computer.
2.On the Tools menu, click Folder Options.
3.Click the File Types tab.
4.Under Registered file types, click EML Outlook Express Mail Message, and then click Advanced.
5.Click Open, and then click Edit.
6.Type the following single line in the Application used to perform action box:
"C:\Program Files\Outlook Express\MSIMN.EXE" /eml:%1
7.Click OK, click OK again, and then click Close.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017