EMERGENCY - accidentally deleted all my documents

Florio 17:35 20 Oct 2010

I've just acquired a new laptop with Windows 7, and so last night used Easy Transfer to get all my documents onto the new machine. Today I've been trying to get everything in order.
A few minutes ago I noticed that the documents folder contained a subfolder, also named documents, so I decided to get rid of the subfolder and place the files directly in the main documents folder. When I then deleted the subfolder, all my documents disappeared (almost 9 gigabytes). They were not in the bin, and I could not redo the deletion.
Luckily I see they can be found under C:/ User/ Documents, but I cannot seem to be able to copy them to replace them in the Documents folder, nor can I drop and drag them there?
Could someone please offer some advice?
Florio

a member 18:50 20 Oct 2010

have you tried system restore , seems the obvious choice .

bremner 19:22 20 Oct 2010

merlinx - system restore restores Windows system files not personal documents, files etc.

Florio

Do you get a message saying you do not have permission to move the documents?

Florio 19:56 20 Oct 2010

After messing around I've eventually managed to copy the documents from User - Documents. Seems that I cannot get around the subfolder within the documents folder!!
Thanks for your help, guys!

kristain 11:35 21 Oct 2010

Now you need to run file recovery program. If looking to this tool just click here=

click here - read this article for manual help

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?