Email from Windows Mail not working

Pineman100 16:10 21 Jul 2007

My wife's new Vista Home Premium laptop (only a week or so old) connects to the internet via our Belkin wireless router. My XP SP2 Home PC does the same. The two computers are also networked with each other.

For a few days my wife was able to send and receive emails normally. Now, suddenly, when she tries to send an email, she gets the following error report:

"The connection to the server has failed. Account: her email address>, Protocol: SMTP, Port 25, Secure (SSL): NO, Socket error: 10061, Error number: 0x800ccc0e."

I have run several internet searches on this error, which appears to be very common. There are plenty of suggestions available for solving the problem in Outlook Express (that don't work for various reasons in Windows Mail), but I can't find anything about solving it in Windows Mail.

Her laptop is still able to connect to the internet normally, and to network with my PC. I've tried disabling her security software (Norton 360 - Windows firewall is switched off) but this had no effect. I've tried using System Restore to go back to the day before the error arose, but it failed to restore - I've no idea why.

Does anyone have any solutions to this problem, please?

skidzy 19:17 23 Jul 2007

just a thought pineman and not sure if this will apply to you but certainly worth checking out.

Start and type
services.msc

if you do not have elevated rights,type
cmd,you should now have the black dos box,then again type
services.msc
and enter

Now look through through a couple of services to check they are set to AUTO.

DHCP Client
DNS Client
TCP/IP Netbios

Though i would suspect these to be enabled if you internet access.

Have you tried disbling Norton totally ? especially if you have the email scanner active and any antispam protection.

I think Norton is the culprit here and may need uninstalling and reinstall.
You know the uninstall route Pineman,this is what i would try first.
This link seems to point to Norton also click here

Though personally i would do away with Norton.Mcafee has these problems also,though i do have Mcafee on one machine but configured to suit my needs.

crosstrainer 06:16 24 Jul 2007

With skidzy, Norton can be a first rate pain when it comes to things like this, I have a free copy, bundled with my laptop....It was the first thing to be binned!

Pineman100 09:07 24 Jul 2007

I'll work through skidzy's suggestions this evening and keep my fingers crossed.

I'll let you know...

Pineman100 17:18 25 Jul 2007

Well, the coconut goes to skidzy. It was Norton 360 that was screwing everything up. So much for "Total peace of mind for your activities online". Huh :-(!

I uninstalled Norton (using their uninstall tool), and full outgoing and incoming email functions were immediately restored. I've now reinstalled it, and everything seems OK.

For the time being....

Many thanks to everyone for your interest and help efforts. It's all very much appreciated.

Alebe 15:07 26 Jul 2007

There is something odd going on with emails. I am having a similar problem (and the same error message). Lycos were updating their system on the 18th and I couldn't get any mail for a week from them and it was difficult gettimg my normal mail. Now I can get Lycos on a completely different computer but not my not from my normal account.

Going on to my laptop I have the opposite effect and received an email quite suddenly from America. Just to confuse things I went back to the main computer and received another email from the same friend dated the 25th but it was one she had sent last December.

I have also had problems when Ideleted old messages and somehow one was sent booking accommodation which became a nightmare to sort out as it was one of last year's. Looking round there are various problems with emails. Even on the Lycos forums you will see similar ones.

I just wonder if it will eventually clear up without doing anything?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best Black Friday Deals 2017

How modern book design was influenced by illustrated manuscripts

Best Black Friday Apple Deals 2017

Les meilleurs logiciels de montage vidéo gratuits (en 2017)