DVD's won't play on Media Player 11

LinH 14:02 28 May 2007

I have Vista Home Premium and when I try to play videos with Media Player 11 I get the following error message:

“Windows Media Player cannot play this DVD because there is a problem with digital copy protection between your DVD drive, decoder, and video card. Try installing an updated driver for your video card”.

This meant that Media Centre wouldn't function either so I updated the video drivers but to no avail. I then downloaded a free player - AVS DVD - and my videos now play fine, so Media Player 11 obviously needs to be updated, but what with?

According to Windows Update everything is up to date so any ideas/suggestions would be appreciated.

Cheers everyone.

LinH

Sheik Yerbouti 06:12 29 May 2007

Although Vista Home Premium comes packaged with Mpeg2 codec to play dvds, lots of problems seem to be reported like yours. Try following the advice click here and see if this fixes it. Alternatively you could get hold of Power DVD, or Nero Showtime (both paid for) or the free VLC Player, see if they work. Power DVD sometimes is supplied with your optical drive.

LinH 13:33 29 May 2007

Sheik Yerbouti

Thanks for your response, I've tried all sorts of 'fixes' but none of them have proved effective. As I've now located a player that works I think I'll stay with it until MS come up with a Vista service pack or quickfix.

Cheers now.

LinH

Mike10C 16:10 29 May 2007

LinH, I saw your post this afternoon, and it got me thinking. I have already tested an older dvd on Vista Media Centre, and it worked fine, so I have just checked a new dvd as well, and that works ok too. They also play under Media player 11. It was news to me that media player plays anything other than music.
I have a dual boot Vista set up with XP. The Vista was installed as a clean install on a separate hard disc. So far it has worked better than I had expected. I have not added any codecs or players.

LinH 08:28 30 May 2007

Mike10C

We all live and learn, pleased it's working for you. There does seem to be, however, issues with Media Player 11 or maybe it's Vista that's the culprit. Taking Vista as a whole it all seems a bit hit and miss, some people have problems with it , others don't. Like you, I did a clean install and didn't experience any great problems.

Cheers.

LinH

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?