dual boot xp and vista

neo1 08:47 20 Jul 2007

hi im running xp and wondered if i create a dual booting pc with xp and vista with the vista home premium express upgrade dvd ive checked that the pc is vista compatible as its only a few months old thanks in advance

anskyber 09:27 20 Jul 2007

I do not know if there is a work around for this but my understanding is that for an upgrade disc the upgrade to Vista "disables" the XP already installed. Dual booting from an upgrade thereby being unachievable legally.

neo1 22:12 20 Jul 2007

oh ok thanks for your help :)

Quiet Life 18:26 27 Jul 2007

See click here for a work arround that also appears on other sites but this one gives detailed instructions,

cream. 22:02 27 Jul 2007

Dual booting XP with Vista home premium here.

I just created a partition on the XP's "C" drive and booted from cdrom. I picked the partition to install Vista. from the modus disk.

All works very well.

neo1 23:35 27 Jul 2007

thanks for the help i will try this out

Davros4143 19:46 29 Jan 2008

I have tried, repeatedly, to like Vista but so many of my programs/games/ISP installation do not work on it. I have spent more time trying to get it to work than I have enjoying my new Dell Inspiron with pre-installed Vista (I have the inst discs). The majority of solutions on the net seem to point to my creating a dual boot with my existing copy of XP. It's a great pity that I did not have the opportunity to select XP in the first place. More of a pity that Dell do not provide an on- line solution to its many users who may be suffering the same problem. Has anyone out there tried the below method? Are there any problems with it?
click here
Grateful for any comments, I'm an enthusiastic amateur but don't want to ruin mu new PC.
Needless to say I'm emailing from my old PC.

archp2008 03:39 06 Mar 2008

I am a newbie but I just installed Windows Vista to dual boot with my existing XP and both systems are working like a charm. I used Partition Magic 8.0 to divide my disk partition into two equal halves. After that I just ran the Vista install on the unallocated space. I used EasyBCD to rename the boot up option "previous version of Windows" to "Windows XP Professional." Now all I need are some tips on what I can and cannot do with a dual boot system; for example, do ALL my security programs and utitlities need to be installed twice??? Are there any draw backs to alternating from one OS to the other on the same computer? I imagine eventually like taking off training wheels on a bike, I'll just let go to XP entirely and simply delete that partition.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?